Deb

Default date is not displaying correctly

I have a spreadsheet that I am currently having problems with the date not
displaying correctly. I don't know what I did but when I first started the
spreadsheet it was fine. If I type in a date such as 4/10/2004 is displays
as 38087. If I want the date to display I have to type in '4/10/2004 for it
to display in the cell. I need to be able to change back all of the dates
that were converted to this numbering. If I go into format cells and click
on date and choose the date display nothing happens as well as if I click on
the general tab. I don't know what I did but, can anyone please help me?

Thanks,
Deb
olasa

38087 is a good sign. You just need to change the cell to Excel Date
Format.
Right click on the cell. Select Format cells... Select the Number tab,
and select Category: Date
You will have several different date formats, to choose from.

HTH
Ola Sandström

--
olasa
olasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17760

RagDyer

Probably the cells were formatted as text.

Just changing the format doesn't work.

Try this:

In a new, unused cell, enter a date,
4/10/2004
If the date displays correctly. *and* is right justified, *and* when you
check the format, it shows as a "date". then you know that you have a "good"
cell.

Right click in this cell, and choose "Clear Contents",
Then right click *again* and choose "Copy".

NOW, select all your "bad" cells.
Right click in this selection and choose "Paste Special".
Click on "Add",
Then <OK.

You should now have all your date cells as *true* date cells.
--
HTH,

RD

"Deb" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I am currently having problems with the date not
displaying correctly. I don't know what I did but when I first started

the
spreadsheet it was fine. If I type in a date such as 4/10/2004 is

displays
as 38087. If I want the date to display I have to type in '4/10/2004 for

it
to display in the cell. I need to be able to change back all of the dates
that were converted to this numbering. If I go into format cells and

click
on date and choose the date display nothing happens as well as if I click

on
the general tab. I don't know what I did but, can anyone please help me?

Thanks,
Deb

Dave Peterson

Any chance you're looking at formulas?

Do you see the date (nicely formatted) in the formulabar?

If yes, Tools|Options|View tab|Uncheck Formulas.