Deb

Default date is not displaying correctly

I have a spreadsheet that I am currently having problems with the date not
displaying correctly. I don't know what I did but when I first started the
spreadsheet it was fine. If I type in a date such as 4/10/2004 is displays
as 38087. If I want the date to display I have to type in '4/10/2004 for it
to display in the cell. I need to be able to change back all of the dates
that were converted to this numbering. If I go into format cells and click
on date and choose the date display nothing happens as well as if I click on
the general tab. I don't know what I did but, can anyone please help me?

Thanks,
Deb