Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Default value in Drop down menu and automatic selections

hi there, I'm trying to create drop down menus that are dependen on each
other. Once a value is selected in first menu, second menu will offer only
items that are applicable based on selection in the first menu.
I've done that and it's working fine (using data validation and formulas),
however I have two problems I want to resolve.
1.)I would like to have a default value in drop down menu (e.g. where I can
add standard text like 'Select value' or something similar.
2.) I want the dependent menus to be automaticaly udpated as soon as their
preceding menu is changed. The way it works now is that you can select any
item from current menu but following cells (with dependent menus) will not
change, instead they keep the value that have.
Does anybody know how could that be resolved? Thx.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

G'day Body

Take a look at Debra Dalgliesh's Website

www.contextures.com

she has a page on multiple cross validation, whereby you can select say a
company in ColumnA which then filters all the names that match that company
in ColumnB, and then viceversa, Select the Name from ColumnB and it will
display the Company in ColumnA.

HTH
Mark.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Mark, I've looked at it and so far I see how to do the drop down menus
that are dependend on preceding menus, but I'm not able to find any note on
how to add default value in drop down list or how to manage immediate change
in menus if preceding one is changed. I'm not sure if this can be done via
formulas and excel functions or if I need a macro, in fact I'm trying to
avoid macro in this case. Any idea where coudl I find more on this please?
thx.

"NoodNutt" wrote:

G'day Body

Take a look at Debra Dalgliesh's Website

www.contextures.com

she has a page on multiple cross validation, whereby you can select say a
company in ColumnA which then filters all the names that match that company
in ColumnB, and then viceversa, Select the Name from ColumnB and it will
display the Company in ColumnA.

HTH
Mark.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Body

The only other way would be rather than using Validation / Dropdown lists
is to use Combo boxes.

You can overlay a Combobox over a cell.

Although I'm mot up to speed with Excel Comboboxes, If we were talking
MsAcees, then I could walk you through without a problem, alas this area of
Excel is new to me also.

There are many examples already listed within the NG that may provide some
guidance.

What I can tell you generally speaking in Access, is that with Combo you can
insert new values directly into a recordset via the Combo, not sure how you
go inserting/updating a Combo attached to a Name Range.

There are several MVP Guru's that frequent the NG's and they will certainly
be able to help & steer you on the right path.

Sorry I couldn't help you any further.

Regards
Mark.