Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula to add six months to date

I haven't used Excel in a while but I need to figure a formula to change
dates by six month increments in several different columns. I can't, for the
life of me, remember how to make the formula for that. The spreadsheet is
like follows:

Name TCM date Next TCM Assess Date Next Assess Date and so on

I need the formula to update the Next TCM, Next Assess Date and so. I know
it's probably something simple and I'm just brain dead but any help would be
great.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming your TCM date is in B2, put this in C2:

=DATE(YEAR(B2),MONTH(B2)+6,DAY(B2))

Use a similar formula for your other dates, but just ensure that the
formula points to the appropriate cell.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 5, 12:34*am, lonedove288
wrote:
I haven't used Excel in a while but I need to figure a formula to change
dates by six month increments in several different columns. I can't, for the
life of me, remember how to make the formula for that. The spreadsheet is
like follows:

Name * TCM date *Next TCM Assess Date Next Assess Date and so on

I need the formula to update the Next TCM, Next Assess Date and so. I know
it's probably something simple and I'm just brain dead but any help would be
great.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you have the Analysis Toolpak add-in (check under Tools--Add-Ins), then
there is a function called EDATE.
=EDATE(A1,6)
This function is particularly nice as it takes into account the end of month
ranges.
For example:
A1: =08/31/2007
B1: using EDATE, result is 02/29/08
C1: using other formula given, result is 03/02/08

--
John C

"lonedove288" wrote:

I haven't used Excel in a while but I need to figure a formula to change
dates by six month increments in several different columns. I can't, for the
life of me, remember how to make the formula for that. The spreadsheet is
like follows:

Name TCM date Next TCM Assess Date Next Assess Date and so on

I need the formula to update the Next TCM, Next Assess Date and so. I know
it's probably something simple and I'm just brain dead but any help would be
great.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 16:34:00 -0700, lonedove288
wrote:

I haven't used Excel in a while but I need to figure a formula to change
dates by six month increments in several different columns. I can't, for the
life of me, remember how to make the formula for that. The spreadsheet is
like follows:

Name TCM date Next TCM Assess Date Next Assess Date and so on

I need the formula to update the Next TCM, Next Assess Date and so. I know
it's probably something simple and I'm just brain dead but any help would be
great.

Thanks

The only problem with just adding 6 months to the base number, as in:

=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+6,DAY(A1))

is the confusion that can sometimes occur when the base month has more days in
it than the resultant month. For example, the formula above, with a base date
of 31 Aug 2008, will give a result of 3 Mar 2009.

If you want to compensate for this sort of issue, you can use the following
formula:

=MIN(DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+{6,7},DAY(A1)*{1,0}))

or, you can use: =EDATE(a1,6)

If you get a #NAME error when you try EDATE, look at Excel HELP for EDATE and
follow the instructions to install the Analysis ToolPak.
--ron