Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP

Here is the scenario. I have a record with two values, for example: Height
and weight.

I need to reference a grid of data with standard heights on the Y axis
(first column) and standards weights across the top on the horizontal X axis
(row). Where the two intersect, going down then across (or vice versa) is
the value I need to retrieve.

Can anyone provide any assistance?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Debra Dalgleish can.
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html
Especially examples 2 and 3.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

INDEX-MATCH is always a good one. If you have a discrete set of Heights and
Weights, you can also use combo boxes and the INDEX function or pair up a
VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP with a variable Column reference
--
Tips for Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Other Applications
http://www.kan.org/tips

Mike M wrote:

Here is the scenario. I have a record with two values, for example: Height
and weight.

I need to reference a grid of data with standard heights on the Y axis
(first column) and standards weights across the top on the horizontal X axis
(row). Where the two intersect, going down then across (or vice versa) is
the value I need to retrieve.

Can anyone provide any assistance?

Thanks,

Mike

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi, Mike
This formula worked for me ( in this case, in cell D5)

=INDEX($F$4:$Q$20, MATCH(B5,$F$4:$F$20,), MATCH(C5,$F$4:$Q$4,))

Your weight would be in B5 and your height in C5, the table would be an
array from F4 to Q20

Hope this helps,

JB