-   -   VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/195354-vlookup-hlookup.html)

Mike M[_2_]

VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP

Here is the scenario. I have a record with two values, for example: Height
and weight.

I need to reference a grid of data with standard heights on the Y axis
(first column) and standards weights across the top on the horizontal X axis
(row). Where the two intersect, going down then across (or vice versa) is
the value I need to retrieve.

Can anyone provide any assistance?

Thanks,

Mike

Dave Peterson

VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP

Debra Dalgleish can.
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html
Especially examples 2 and 3.

--

Dave Peterson

M Kan

VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP

INDEX-MATCH is always a good one. If you have a discrete set of Heights and
Weights, you can also use combo boxes and the INDEX function or pair up a
VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP with a variable Column reference
--
Tips for Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Other Applications
http://www.kan.org/tips

Mike M wrote:

Here is the scenario. I have a record with two values, for example: Height
and weight.

I need to reference a grid of data with standard heights on the Y axis
(first column) and standards weights across the top on the horizontal X axis
(row). Where the two intersect, going down then across (or vice versa) is
the value I need to retrieve.

Can anyone provide any assistance?

Thanks,

Mike

--

Dave Peterson

Jan Bolluyt

VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP

Hi, Mike
This formula worked for me ( in this case, in cell D5)

=INDEX($F$4:$Q$20, MATCH(B5,$F$4:$F$20,), MATCH(C5,$F$4:$Q$4,))

Your weight would be in B5 and your height in C5, the table would be an
array from F4 to Q20

Hope this helps,

JB

"Mike M" wrote in message
Here is the scenario. I have a record with two values, for example: Height
and weight.

I need to reference a grid of data with standard heights on the Y axis
(first column) and standards weights across the top on the horizontal X axis
(row). Where the two intersect, going down then across (or vice versa) is
the value I need to retrieve.

Mike M[_2_]

VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP

Dave, Jan, M Kan,

Thank you all! The speed and replies are great thank you.

Mike