Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default need formula to apply to entire column not just one line

I need a formula to apply to an entire column not just a line. I also need to
protect a column in which no one can see the price except for someone with a
password. Can numbers be hidden by "XXXXX"?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you mean something like Sum(G:G) that sums up the entire G column, or do
you mean a formula in each row down one column?

As for protecting the column, you could just lock (right click, Format
Cells-- Protection, check Locked) and hide the column (select column, right
click, Hide) then protect the sheet (Tools -- Protection --Protect Sheet).
Just be sure to have the cells you want to be able to change as unlocked
(unselect "Locked" in the Format Cells form).

Hope this helps, Jim

"Maggie" wrote:

I need a formula to apply to an entire column not just a line. I also need to
protect a column in which no one can see the price except for someone with a
password. Can numbers be hidden by "XXXXX"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUM(A:A) for a column

Excel internal security is very weak.

If you don't want someone to see the price, don't include it in the workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP