Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF STATEMENTS COMBINED WITH VLOOKUPS

I have a large database with part specifications. I am trying to do a
vlookup based on the results of 2 columns of information, instead of one.
See below "database":

col 1 col 2 col 3 col 4 col
5 col 6
cstmr name part no. part spec tolerance length
packing info

Many times, the part number is the same for 2 customers, however some of the
data in the other columns are different (the length may vary, packing info
different, etc). I want my vlookup to meet two lookup values, rather than
one. I'm thinking an IF statement has to be factored in there somewhere, but
can't figure it out. Thanks for any help you can offer
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Which two columns? Are they always the same 2 columns?

IF is not likely to work but you may be able to use a concatenation, but we
need to know more.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"peggyL" wrote:

I have a large database with part specifications. I am trying to do a
vlookup based on the results of 2 columns of information, instead of one.
See below "database":

col 1 col 2 col 3 col 4 col
5 col 6
cstmr name part no. part spec tolerance length
packing info

Many times, the part number is the same for 2 customers, however some of the
data in the other columns are different (the length may vary, packing info
different, etc). I want my vlookup to meet two lookup values, rather than
one. I'm thinking an IF statement has to be factored in there somewhere, but
can't figure it out. Thanks for any help you can offer

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

HI Shane: Yes, it is always the same two columns (A and B)
On my worksheet I plan to type in a customer name in one field and the part
number in another field. I want to utilize a vlookup formula in the various
other fields to plug in all the rest of the row of information in the
database ONLY IF the customer name AND part number are an exact match from
columns A (customer Name) and B (part number).
Does that help any?
Peggy