Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Art Art is offline

Default Database function criteria

In Lotus 1-2-3, you are no longer tied to a criteria range. You can embed a
formula in the criteria field. For example, if I have a database named
Calendar with columns titled:

Number Name Weeks

I can create a function like =DGET(calendar,"name",number=4). This
eliminates the necessity of creating criteria ranges. Is such a thing
possible in Excel?

Art
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Art Art is offline

That will probably work in this example, but doesn't resolve the basic
question of: are we stuck using criteria ranges in Excel? Is there some way
to emulate the much simpler approach of 1-2-3?

Art

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Maybe

=VLOOKUP(4,calendar,2,FALSE)

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Art" wrote in message
In Lotus 1-2-3, you are no longer tied to a criteria range. You can embed
formula in the criteria field. For example, if I have a database named
Calendar with columns titled:

Number Name Weeks

I can create a function like =DGET(calendar,"name",number=4). This
eliminates the necessity of creating criteria ranges. Is such a thing
possible in Excel?

Art

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There is just the one range as there is in your Lotus example.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Art" wrote in message
That will probably work in this example, but doesn't resolve the basic
question of: are we stuck using criteria ranges in Excel? Is there some
way
to emulate the much simpler approach of 1-2-3?

Art

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Maybe

=VLOOKUP(4,calendar,2,FALSE)

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Art" wrote in message
In Lotus 1-2-3, you are no longer tied to a criteria range. You can
embed
formula in the criteria field. For example, if I have a database named
Calendar with columns titled:

Number Name Weeks

I can create a function like =DGET(calendar,"name",number=4). This
eliminates the necessity of creating criteria ranges. Is such a thing
possible in Excel?

Art

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Art Art is offline

Bob:

I think you are missing my point. You will notice in my DGET example that I
do not refer to a "criteria range". I instead have inserted the formula
"number=1". This eliminates the necessity of creating a "criteria range" and
then referring to it in the DGET formula. The criteria is defined in the
DGET formula itself. This is a much simpler method of handling the criteria.

Art

"Art" wrote in message
That will probably work in this example, but doesn't resolve the basic
question of: are we stuck using criteria ranges in Excel? Is there some
way
to emulate the much simpler approach of 1-2-3?

Art

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Maybe

=VLOOKUP(4,calendar,2,FALSE)

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Art" wrote in message
In Lotus 1-2-3, you are no longer tied to a criteria range. You can
embed
formula in the criteria field. For example, if I have a database named
Calendar with columns titled:

Number Name Weeks

I can create a function like =DGET(calendar,"name",number=4). This
eliminates the necessity of creating criteria ranges. Is such a thing
possible in Excel?

Art

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't see what the difference is. Number = is just an explicit argument as
far as I can see. The 4 in the VLOOKUP is an argument, there is no criteria
range, you are passing the parameter value
directly.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Art" wrote in message
That will probably work in this example, but doesn't resolve the basic
question of: are we stuck using criteria ranges in Excel? Is there
some
way
to emulate the much simpler approach of 1-2-3?

Art

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Maybe

=VLOOKUP(4,calendar,2,FALSE)