Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jrv jrv is offline

Default Can Database Function Criteria be a Date?

Can the criteria for a database function be in the form of a Date (e.g.
1/1/07). If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you mean greater than 1/1/2007?

="2007-01-01"

or

=""&TEXT(DATE(2007,1,1),"yyyy-mm-dd")

or

=""&DATE(2007,1,1)

or

="1/1/07"

I would advice against the latter 2, the first of those will display the
serial number of the date and the latter will fail if moved to another
regional setting

Peo Sjoblom

"jrv" wrote in message
Can the criteria for a database function be in the form of a Date (e.g.
1/1/07). If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jrv jrv is offline

Yes I did mean greater than 1/1/2007. However, It doesn't seem to work.
Here's what I did to check.

I created a simple database with "Date" as the first column and "Check" As
the second column (= to all 1s). I populated dates in the date column in the
syntax mm/dd/yy. I then established a criteria array with one column two
rows, First row is labeled Date. In the second row I typed the criteria as
you show below (i.e. ="2007-01-01"). When I hit enter the cell shows
2007-01-01. However, the cell with the Database Function shows the #VALUE!

error.

Any suggestions?

"jrv" wrote in message
Can the criteria for a database function be in the form of a Date (e.g.
1/1/07). If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jrv jrv is offline

I fixed the #Value! error. However, DSUM is returning 0 on check eventhough
there are dates that meet the criteria.

"jrv" wrote in message
Can the criteria for a database function be in the form of a Date (e.g.
1/1/07). If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What's the formula you are using, it certainly works for me if I create the
same, assuming you want to sum all checks with dates greater than 01/01/07

=DSUM(DataBase,"Check",E1:E2)

or to count the dates

=DCOUNT(DataBase,"Dates",E1:E2)

the D functions don't work if the source workbook is closed if you have the
formula in another workbook

Peo Sjoblom

"jrv" wrote in message
Can the criteria for a database function be in the form of a Date (e.g.
1/1/07). If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try

=ISTEXT(cell)

on both the dates and the check values, if they are imported they may have
trailing/leading spaces

Peo Sjoblom

"jrv" wrote in message
Can the criteria for a database function be in the form of a Date
(e.g.
1/1/07). If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jrv jrv is offline

I was using the DSUM formula you show below. It's just not working for me.
There must be something different. Is there anyway you can send me your
"test" file so I can take a look?

"jrv" wrote in message
Can the criteria for a database function be in the form of a Date (e.g.
1/1/07). If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sure, post your email address but do it so no spambots can get a hold of it

so if your email address is

post it like

johndoeNOSPAMatNOSPAMyahoo.com

and I will send you a little sample