Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Advanced Criterea in Formulas

I'm trying to figure out the best way to use advanced criterea in formulas.
Here's my example:

Date Account Amount
1/1/08 account a -$5
2/2/08 account b $10
3/3/08 account a -$4
4/3/08 account c $12
....and so on for all my financial transactions

my second worksheet is set up as follows

Account Jan 08 Feb 08 Mar 08 Apr 08
account a
account b
account c

Now in each of the columns for the second worksheet I want to enter a
formula that will calculate the total of all transactions for the specific
account during the specific month. I thought maybe the sumif function could
do this, but I can't figure out how to specify multiple criterea in that
function. All I can figure is that I have to set up a seperate criterea
table for each cell to reference (which seems like a lot of work if I have 10
different accounts and I'm looking for monthly calculations over the past 5
years! Isn't there a way to enter different multiple criterea for different
formulas without needing to create multiple criterea tables?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On May 7, 11:54*am, mpbhammer
wrote:
I'm trying to figure out the best way to use advanced criterea in formulas.. *
Here's my example:

Date * * * * * * *Account * * * * * * Amount
[...]

SUMPRODUCT could be used to do it, but why not simply use a pivot
table - you would need to have another column to convert the date into
the month, but other than that the pivot table would give you the
report automatically.