Default help with "criterea" in the sumif function

Hello folks,

I just may be tired but I can't seem to understand the various
implementations of criterea in the sumif function.

it seems that if i just set criterea to "" (detects blank cell)
or 35 ......(and 35 is in the criterea range).....I can get the
sumif to work.

I can't get the function to work if i use ISBLANK as teh criterea
or ISNUMBER as criterea.

i think what I am saying that i don't really appreciate the various
forms of criterea. i suspect i am not understanding something.

please help me.

bil
but if i set the criterea to be rc[-4]="" then the sumif functino
fails

Peo Sjoblom

Use

=COUNTBLANK(Range1)

to count blank cells, to count numbers

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(Range1)))

to sum another range where the first range is blank

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISBLANK(Range1)),Range2)

to sum another range where the first range is a number

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(Range)),Range2)

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom