Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default excel 2003 value change

I am looking for a function or formula that will allow me to do an IF Then
statement. For example, I want to say if cell B1 contains CM or RT then
make cell D1 negative value.

narp
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use the =IF function. Something like:

A B
1 CM
2 $100
3 =IF(OR(A1="CM",A1="RT"),-A2,A2)

hth

"narp" wrote:

I am looking for a function or formula that will allow me to do an IF Then
statement. For example, I want to say if cell B1 contains CM or RT then
make cell D1 negative value.

narp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is awasome!!! We have been trying to make this an automatic process for
a long time. This will save me and my co-worker a lot of time every month.

Do you have any tricks for changing a cell that reads CM-IN1234 to be
IN1234-CM? This is the other process I'm trying to automate.
--
narp

"narp" wrote:

I am looking for a function or formula that will allow me to do an IF Then
statement. For example, I want to say if cell B1 contains CM or RT then
make cell D1 negative value.

narp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Narp --

Do you mean actually going through a list of cells and changing the text
that's in them, or some kind of conditional formula where, depending on the
value of a cell, you either subtract numbers or add them?

"narp" wrote:

I am looking for a function or formula that will allow me to do an IF Then
statement. For example, I want to say if cell B1 contains CM or RT then
make cell D1 negative value.

narp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am trying to accomplish several things in this one worksheet:
1. Change CM-IN1234 to IN1234-CM
2. Change data value in C2 to a negative # if CM or RT is in cell B2
3. Change color of cells with negative values

Here is what my worksheet looks like.

DOCDATE SOPNUMBE QUANTITY UNITCOST
01/23/08 CM-IN22664 1 $2.12
01/24/08 CM-IN22664A 1 $2.12
01/23/08 CM-IN22665 1 $77.31
01/23/08 CM-IN22665 1300 $2.31
01/23/08 CM-IN22665 600 $2.12
01/23/08 CM-IN22665 800 $16.30
01/23/08 CM-IN22667 2 $96.00
01/03/08 IN22036 1 $101.93
01/03/08 IN22037 1 $33.62
01/03/08 IN22038 1 $-
01/03/08 IN22038 1 $14.00

Also, do you have any suggestions on reference material that would help me
understand and create functions?

--
narp

"narp" wrote:

I am looking for a function or formula that will allow me to do an IF Then
statement. For example, I want to say if cell B1 contains CM or RT then
make cell D1 negative value.

narp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Narp --

Three issues:

1) Use 'Find and Replace'. Select the cells you want to affect. Either
press EditReplace or press CTRL-H. Enter the text you want to change
(CM-IN1234) and then what you want to change it to (IN1234-CM). Replace all.

2) Something like:

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("CM",B2)),D2,-D2)

3) Use conditional formatting. Select the cells you want to affect. Press
FormatConditional Formatting. Using the formula for the topmost cell,

select the options so that the cell value is < 0, then click the buttons to
set the text and cell formats you want to see.

HTH

"narp" wrote:

I am looking for a function or formula that will allow me to do an IF Then
statement. For example, I want to say if cell B1 contains CM or RT then
make cell D1 negative value.

narp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On issue 1 is there a way to make these changes in a column when each cell
has a different number after the CM-IN?

Thank you so much for all the help....you are a life saver.
--
narp (Noelle)

"narp" wrote:

I am looking for a function or formula that will allow me to do an IF Then
statement. For example, I want to say if cell B1 contains CM or RT then
make cell D1 negative value.

narp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't know how to do that other than to write a macro. Unless you have
lots and lots of cells to change, it would be easier to do them manually, I
think. Maybe someone else in discussions knows how.

On the other stuff at least, glad I could help.