Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default calculating product of 2 cells where 1 cell is in percentage

This is driving me nuts. I am a newbie at Excel.

I am trying to build a weight loss progress chart, and I need to
multiple body fat percentage column with body weight (e.g. 22 * 180).
So far so good, it's giving me 3960. But I need it as 39.60. The 22
should be taken as 22/100 and then multiplied by 180. When I tried
(C2*D2/100), its rounding the value to 40. I need 39.60. I don't want
to round it off.

Thanks in advance. I am a newbie and I searched all over but couldn;t
find an answer. May be I am searching incorrectly.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Format the cells that hold the body fat as PERCENTAGE

FormatCellsNumber tabPercentage

=D2*C2

Or, if you prefer, using the default GENERAL format

=D2*(C2/100)

Format as NUMBER 2 decimal places

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"PJ" wrote in message
This is driving me nuts. I am a newbie at Excel.

I am trying to build a weight loss progress chart, and I need to
multiple body fat percentage column with body weight (e.g. 22 * 180).
So far so good, it's giving me 3960. But I need it as 39.60. The 22
should be taken as 22/100 and then multiplied by 180. When I tried
(C2*D2/100), its rounding the value to 40. I need 39.60. I don't want
to round it off.

Thanks in advance. I am a newbie and I searched all over but couldn;t
find an answer. May be I am searching incorrectly.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you so much. It worked.

Now I dragged the cell all the way down for other rows to be applied
the same formula and they all showed up as 0.00. Can I get rid of
"0.00" and leave the cell blank? I want it show up only if I entered
body fat % and weight columns.

Once again thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am trying to develop something like this -

http://www.mikeogorek.com/session2matrix.JPG

Thanks all.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this (depending on which format method you chose to use
for C2):

=IF(COUNT(C2:D2)<2,"",D2*C2)

=IF(COUNT(C2:D2)<2,"",D2*(C2/100))

--