Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to multiply hours by a dollar amount

Thanks to Biff for helping me get the first of my timesheet problems figured
out. Now I am hoping to be able to take the amount of hours and multiply it
by a dollar amount to get a total.

So I want to take 25:30 (column a) and multiply that by $5 hour (column c)
to get a grand total.

So I put in: =a28*c28 and it gives me $3.92 which is obviously not right.

Column a is formatted as [h:mm] and column c is formatted as currency which
I think is where my problem is but don't know what I need to do to fix it.

Thanks for any insight.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I think your time formula is probably [h]:mm and to get the answer you want
try this

=(A1*24)*B1

Where a1 is your time and B1 is the hourly rate. Ensure the answer cell is
formatted general.

Mike

"Teri" wrote:

Thanks to Biff for helping me get the first of my timesheet problems figured
out. Now I am hoping to be able to take the amount of hours and multiply it
by a dollar amount to get a total.

So I want to take 25:30 (column a) and multiply that by $5 hour (column c)
to get a grand total.

So I put in: =a28*c28 and it gives me $3.92 which is obviously not right.

Column a is formatted as [h:mm] and column c is formatted as currency which
I think is where my problem is but don't know what I need to do to fix it.

Thanks for any insight.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=A28*24*C28

in a cell formatted to Number or General.
--
HTH,

RD

"Teri" wrote in message
Thanks to Biff for helping me get the first of my timesheet problems
figured
out. Now I am hoping to be able to take the amount of hours and multiply
it
by a dollar amount to get a total.

So I want to take 25:30 (column a) and multiply that by $5 hour (column c)
to get a grand total.

So I put in: =a28*c28 and it gives me $3.92 which is obviously not right.

Column a is formatted as [h:mm] and column c is formatted as currency
which
I think is where my problem is but don't know what I need to do to fix it.

Thanks for any insight.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Teri,
Try in D8 formatting it to $0.00
=a28*c28*24
Which will give you $127.50

Rich/rerat
(RRR News) <message rule
<<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate