Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 24th 07, 12:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 1
Default wages - multiply hours and minutes by number of hours worked

I'm new to excel and trying to do wages for a small office by multipling
hours and minutes worked by an hourly rate of $16.25 per hour
A1 is 39:15 ( 39 hours and 15 minutes - hours worked for the week)
B1 is $16.25 ( $16.25 per hour worked)
C1 I require the weekly wage I need to pay = A1*B1 but I don't get the
correct answer



  #2   Report Post  
Old March 24th 07, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 353
Default wages - multiply hours and minutes by number of hours worked

=A1*B1*24

"Carol (Australia)" wrote:

I'm new to excel and trying to do wages for a small office by multipling
hours and minutes worked by an hourly rate of $16.25 per hour
A1 is 39:15 ( 39 hours and 15 minutes - hours worked for the week)
B1 is $16.25 ( $16.25 per hour worked)
C1 I require the weekly wage I need to pay = A1*B1 but I don't get the
correct answer


  #3   Report Post  
Old March 24th 07, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 38
Default wages - multiply hours and minutes by number of hours worked

Hi Carol, I ran the numbers you have given and C1= $636.19, I formated C1 for
accounting and the A1 as general, B1 was formated as accounting also; Hope
this helps
chefmike

"Carol (Australia)" wrote:

I'm new to excel and trying to do wages for a small office by multipling
hours and minutes worked by an hourly rate of $16.25 per hour
A1 is 39:15 ( 39 hours and 15 minutes - hours worked for the week)
B1 is $16.25 ( $16.25 per hour worked)
C1 I require the weekly wage I need to pay = A1*B1 but I don't get the
correct answer


  #4   Report Post  
Old March 24th 07, 02:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 353
Default wages - multiply hours and minutes by number of hours worked

Ummm... I think maybe you missed the hours and minutes thingy. The right
answer would be 637.81. 39 hours and 15 minutes times 16.25 per hour. In
accounting format, that would actually make the hours worked 39.25, making a
little, but oh so important when it's your paycheck, difference. :-)

"chefmike" wrote:

Hi Carol, I ran the numbers you have given and C1= $636.19, I formated C1 for
accounting and the A1 as general, B1 was formated as accounting also; Hope
this helps
chefmike

"Carol (Australia)" wrote:

I'm new to excel and trying to do wages for a small office by multipling
hours and minutes worked by an hourly rate of $16.25 per hour
A1 is 39:15 ( 39 hours and 15 minutes - hours worked for the week)
B1 is $16.25 ( $16.25 per hour worked)
C1 I require the weekly wage I need to pay = A1*B1 but I don't get the
correct answer


  #5   Report Post  
Old March 28th 07, 01:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 2
Default wages - multiply hours and minutes by number of hours worked

thanks BoniM
yes i see what you mean with the hour & minute thing, but is there a way
that I can get excel to adjust those minutes into the correct format for
multiplying the minutes into a fraction ??
Carol (Australia)

"BoniM" wrote:

Ummm... I think maybe you missed the hours and minutes thingy. The right
answer would be 637.81. 39 hours and 15 minutes times 16.25 per hour. In
accounting format, that would actually make the hours worked 39.25, making a
little, but oh so important when it's your paycheck, difference. :-)

"chefmike" wrote:

Hi Carol, I ran the numbers you have given and C1= $636.19, I formated C1 for
accounting and the A1 as general, B1 was formated as accounting also; Hope
this helps
chefmike

"Carol (Australia)" wrote:

I'm new to excel and trying to do wages for a small office by multipling
hours and minutes worked by an hourly rate of $16.25 per hour
A1 is 39:15 ( 39 hours and 15 minutes - hours worked for the week)
B1 is $16.25 ( $16.25 per hour worked)
C1 I require the weekly wage I need to pay = A1*B1 but I don't get the
correct answer




  #6   Report Post  
Old March 28th 07, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 353
Default wages - multiply hours and minutes by number of hours worked

=A1*B1*24
Carol - this formula does the math correctly without you having to multiply
the minutes into a fraction first as long as the cells remain formated as
time. Don't change the format to general or if it is general, change it to
the time format. (Format, cells, time, choose 37:30:55).




"Carol (Australia)" wrote:

thanks BoniM
yes i see what you mean with the hour & minute thing, but is there a way
that I can get excel to adjust those minutes into the correct format for
multiplying the minutes into a fraction ??
Carol (Australia)

"BoniM" wrote:

Ummm... I think maybe you missed the hours and minutes thingy. The right
answer would be 637.81. 39 hours and 15 minutes times 16.25 per hour. In
accounting format, that would actually make the hours worked 39.25, making a
little, but oh so important when it's your paycheck, difference. :-)

"chefmike" wrote:

Hi Carol, I ran the numbers you have given and C1= $636.19, I formated C1 for
accounting and the A1 as general, B1 was formated as accounting also; Hope
this helps
chefmike

"Carol (Australia)" wrote:

I'm new to excel and trying to do wages for a small office by multipling
hours and minutes worked by an hourly rate of $16.25 per hour
A1 is 39:15 ( 39 hours and 15 minutes - hours worked for the week)
B1 is $16.25 ( $16.25 per hour worked)
C1 I require the weekly wage I need to pay = A1*B1 but I don't get the
correct answer


  #7   Report Post  
Old April 1st 07, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 2
Default wages - multiply hours and minutes by number of hours worked

Thanks BoniM
i'll give that a go
Carol Australia

"BoniM" wrote:

=A1*B1*24
Carol - this formula does the math correctly without you having to multiply
the minutes into a fraction first as long as the cells remain formated as
time. Don't change the format to general or if it is general, change it to
the time format. (Format, cells, time, choose 37:30:55).




"Carol (Australia)" wrote:

thanks BoniM
yes i see what you mean with the hour & minute thing, but is there a way
that I can get excel to adjust those minutes into the correct format for
multiplying the minutes into a fraction ??
Carol (Australia)

"BoniM" wrote:

Ummm... I think maybe you missed the hours and minutes thingy. The right
answer would be 637.81. 39 hours and 15 minutes times 16.25 per hour. In
accounting format, that would actually make the hours worked 39.25, making a
little, but oh so important when it's your paycheck, difference. :-)

"chefmike" wrote:

Hi Carol, I ran the numbers you have given and C1= $636.19, I formated C1 for
accounting and the A1 as general, B1 was formated as accounting also; Hope
this helps
chefmike

"Carol (Australia)" wrote:

I'm new to excel and trying to do wages for a small office by multipling
hours and minutes worked by an hourly rate of $16.25 per hour
A1 is 39:15 ( 39 hours and 15 minutes - hours worked for the week)
B1 is $16.25 ( $16.25 per hour worked)
C1 I require the weekly wage I need to pay = A1*B1 but I don't get the
correct answer




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how can I multiply number of hours and minutes by hourly rate? cab0419 Excel Worksheet Functions 5 November 1st 06 12:03 PM
How can I add hours and minutes then multiply by cost per hour? Tom DiBell Excel Worksheet Functions 1 May 8th 06 07:52 PM
How do I multiply an hourly cost by hours expressed in minutes? Enrique Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 16th 06 02:35 PM
how do i multiply hours:minutes by a cash value? Jeremy Flisher Excel Worksheet Functions 1 January 17th 05 03:52 PM
How do I multiply rate per hour by hours worked. MAC Excel Worksheet Functions 1 December 22nd 04 03:29 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017