Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default "background" formatting possible?

Hi, is it possible to format a background which will stay put while you
manipulate your data cells / insert rows on top? That would be SO useful.
E.g. I have a big table of data, and just for visual purposes, I want every
3rd line to be coloured, to make the table easier to read (esp when printed).
However, if I update the table and add a row in at the beginning / middle,
then it messes up the formatting pattern thereafter.
Any way of having your formatting independent of data on top?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Try this as your conditional format formula

=AND(COUNTA(D$4)0,MOD(COLUMN(),2)<1)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"wb198" wrote:

Hi, is it possible to format a background which will stay put while you
manipulate your data cells / insert rows on top? That would be SO useful.
E.g. I have a big table of data, and just for visual purposes, I want every
3rd line to be coloured, to make the table easier to read (esp when printed).
However, if I update the table and add a row in at the beginning / middle,
then it messes up the formatting pattern thereafter.
Any way of having your formatting independent of data on top?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jan 15, 12:14*pm, wb198 wrote:
Hi, is it possible to format a background which will stay put while you
manipulate your data cells / insert rows on top? *That would be SO useful.
E.g. *I have a big table of data, and just for visual purposes, I want every
3rd line to be coloured, to make the table easier to read (esp when printed).
*However, if I update the table and add a row in at the beginning / middle,
then it messes up the formatting pattern thereafter.
Any way of having your formatting independent of data on top?

Thanks

Try this as your conditional format formula
=mod(row(),3)=1 then select format - patterns and choose your color
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

the thing is, I already have other conditional formatting on some cells, and
when I add the formula format, the other conditional formatting seems to get
erased.

is there any other way of doing this?
thanks

" wrote:

On Jan 15, 12:14 pm, wb198 wrote:
Hi, is it possible to format a background which will stay put while you
manipulate your data cells / insert rows on top? That would be SO useful.
E.g. I have a big table of data, and just for visual purposes, I want every
3rd line to be coloured, to make the table easier to read (esp when printed).
However, if I update the table and add a row in at the beginning / middle,
then it messes up the formatting pattern thereafter.
Any way of having your formatting independent of data on top?

Thanks

Try this as your conditional format formula
=mod(row(),3)=1 then select format - patterns and choose your color

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

How often do you add rows and would have to adjust the colorbars?....if not
really so often that you could not manually reset them, then you could use
something like ASAP Utilities, a free add-in available at
www.asap-utilities.com

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3