Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Depending on Account cell is gray or white question.

I have account names and they are all in alphabetical order ascending. I want
to gray a row of cells on every other account name change.

Example of what I want:
A Row Color
Account 1 Gray
Account 1 Gray
Account 1 Gray
Account 2 White
Account 2 White
Account 2 White
Account 3 Gray
Account 3 Gray
Account 3 Gray

I know I can control-click on every other one but we all know with large
spreadsheets that can take forever. Is there a formula or something else that
can do this automatically/quickly?

I should mention, and I don't know if this will make a difference, but each
account may have different data in the same row as the account name.

For example:
A B Row Color
Account 1 Information 1 Gray
Account 1 Information 2 Gray
Account 1 Information 3 Gray
Account 2 Information 4 White
Account 2 Information 5 White
Account 2 Information 6 White
Account 3 Information 7 Gray
Account 3 Information 8 Gray
Account 3 Information 9 Gray

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do they really occur in blocks of three? If so you can use Format |
Conditional Formatting with Formula Is:
=OR(MOD(ROW(),6)=1,MOD(ROW(),6)=2,MOD(ROW(),6)=3) and format to a grey
pattern. Select all the row (drag down the row headers with the mouse)
before using the Format | Conditional Formatting.
If the blocks of 3 is not a valid observation, please let us know
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"LiveUser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the rows then FormatCondtional Formatting:Formula is:

Change the formula to this =MOD(RIGHT($A2,LEN($A2)-FIND(" ",$A2))+0,2)=1

Note the change to make A absolute by adding the $ sign

then Format to Gray Pattern and OK your way out.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"LiveUser" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No need to be sorry<g

Let's see if we can walk you though it.

Where are you entering the formula?

It must be entered in the Formula is: dialog box in FormatConditional
FormattingCondition1

What rows have you pre-selected before entering the formula in CF?

If the top cell is A1 then change all instances of $A2 to suit.

Gord

"LiveUser" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

CF was introduced with Excel 97 so your version is OK.

I copied your data directly from your post and pasted to a new sheet.

Entered the formula in CF and got the desired effect.

Perhaps your data is not exactly as advertised?

Do you have the <space as in

Account 1
Account 2
Account 3

If not, post a sample of the actual data.

Gord