Dab

Default Help with function to sum values in a worksheet depending on account number

I think I know the answer to this already but I thought I'd ask anyway

I have a large spread sheet table detailing many items each identified by
account numbers. The account numbers may occur in several different lines
in the table.

I know that I could do this with a macro or VB Script but what I'm wondering
is if there is an Excel function That will look up all the occurrences of a
particular account numbers in a table, and sum the total dollar value for
all of the occurrences of that particular account number? Basically, I need
dynamic sort (and sum) of the table by account numbers without changing the
original table.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:07:03 -0700, "Dab" wrote:

I think I know the answer to this already but I thought I'd ask anyway

I have a large spread sheet table detailing many items each identified by
account numbers. The account numbers may occur in several different lines
in the table.

I know that I could do this with a macro or VB Script but what I'm wondering
is if there is an Excel function That will look up all the occurrences of a
particular account numbers in a table, and sum the total dollar value for
all of the occurrences of that particular account number? Basically, I need
dynamic sort (and sum) of the table by account numbers without changing the
original table.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

SUMIF worksheet function would seem to be ideal for this.

--ron
Dab

Brilliant! (and simple) thanks.

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Function to list values of last 3 non-blank cells in a vertical bl ANJ Excel Worksheet Functions 1 April 14th 05 12:53 AM
Indirect( ) function loosing values when spreadsheets are closed Word4Dummies Excel Worksheet Functions 2 February 13th 05 12:41 PM
Excel: Add "dBm" and "dBW" to CONVERT worksheet function Power u. Sapporo Excel Worksheet Functions 3 December 17th 04 02:33 PM
left worksheet function within a combo box Billing Goddess Excel Worksheet Functions 3 November 15th 04 08:58 PM