-   -   Help with function to sum values in a worksheet depending on account number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/29660-help-function-sum-values-worksheet-depending-account-number.html)

Dab

Help with function to sum values in a worksheet depending on account number

I think I know the answer to this already but I thought I'd ask anyway

I have a large spread sheet table detailing many items each identified by
account numbers. The account numbers may occur in several different lines
in the table.

I know that I could do this with a macro or VB Script but what I'm wondering
is if there is an Excel function That will look up all the occurrences of a
particular account numbers in a table, and sum the total dollar value for
all of the occurrences of that particular account number? Basically, I need
dynamic sort (and sum) of the table by account numbers without changing the
original table.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

RagDyer

The SUMIF() function should do exactly what you need.
Check it out in the Help files.
--
HTH,

RD

"Dab" wrote in message
[...]

Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:07:03 -0700, "Dab" wrote:

I think I know the answer to this already but I thought I'd ask anyway

I have a large spread sheet table detailing many items each identified by
account numbers. The account numbers may occur in several different lines
in the table.

I know that I could do this with a macro or VB Script but what I'm wondering
is if there is an Excel function That will look up all the occurrences of a
particular account numbers in a table, and sum the total dollar value for
all of the occurrences of that particular account number? Basically, I need
dynamic sort (and sum) of the table by account numbers without changing the
original table.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

SUMIF worksheet function would seem to be ideal for this.

--ron

Dab

Brilliant! (and simple) thanks.

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

"Dab" wrote in message
[...]

FAR from brilliant, but thanks for the feed-back.

RD