Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP - Help wanted

Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=MID(A1,6,2)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200753

"Finance Guru" wrote:

Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

try =mid(a1,6,2) and copy it down as many rows as you need.

Good luck

Ken
Norfolk, Va

On Nov 6, 2:56 pm, Finance Guru
wrote:
Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming all are same format. You did say "6+7"

=MID(A1,6,2) in B1 and copied down.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:56:03 -0800, Finance Guru
wrote:

Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you all for your answers. You all seem to have come up with the same
answers,so I will try it tomorrow.

Can some just explain the syntax ( laymans speak ) behind your formula. Why
? Because I am quick learner,and I am sure that in my w/sheets I can use
this over again.

wrote:

Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you very much for your response. Just as a note every time I see
'Garry"s Student,it cracks me up - what an absolutely fabulous pen name.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

=MID(A1,6,2)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200753

"Finance Guru" wrote:

Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

MID is a worksheet function for finding characters within a string.. See help
also on RIGHT and LEFT functions.

6 is the first character to start extracting at, 2 tells Excel how many
characters to extract.

Gord

wrote:

Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Gord,
Many thanks for the formula answer and the explanation.
Greatly appreciated
FG