-   -   VLOOKUP - Help wanted (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/165037-vlookup-help-wanted.html)

Finance Guru

VLOOKUP - Help wanted

Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Gary''s Student

VLOOKUP - Help wanted

=MID(A1,6,2)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200753

"Finance Guru" wrote:

Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

[email protected]

VLOOKUP - Help wanted

try =mid(a1,6,2) and copy it down as many rows as you need.

Good luck

Ken
Norfolk, Va

On Nov 6, 2:56 pm, Finance Guru
wrote:
Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Gord Dibben

VLOOKUP - Help wanted

Assuming all are same format. You did say "6+7"

=MID(A1,6,2) in B1 and copied down.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:56:03 -0800, Finance Guru
wrote:

Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Finance Guru

VLOOKUP - Help wanted

Thank you all for your answers. You all seem to have come up with the same
answers,so I will try it tomorrow.

Can some just explain the syntax ( laymans speak ) behind your formula. Why
? Because I am quick learner,and I am sure that in my w/sheets I can use
this over again.

wrote:

Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Finance Guru

VLOOKUP - Help wanted

Thank you very much for your response. Just as a note every time I see
'Garry"s Student,it cracks me up - what an absolutely fabulous pen name.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

=MID(A1,6,2)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200753

"Finance Guru" wrote:

Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Gord Dibben

VLOOKUP - Help wanted

MID is a worksheet function for finding characters within a string.. See help
also on RIGHT and LEFT functions.

6 is the first character to start extracting at, 2 tells Excel how many
characters to extract.

Gord

wrote:

Hello,

I am running excel 2003. Can somebody please help.

I have 2 columns
Row A B
1 1525-FE-Clientname FE
2 2799-HE-Clientname HE
3
4

Colum A data is selected from a dropdown list.( of which there are about 300
items in the list ) I would like to have a Lookup Function that checks out
the 6+7 character of the column A entry and put the result into Colum B.
Presently I have to type in the data into column B based on the result of the
entry in Column A.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Finance Guru

VLOOKUP - Help wanted

Gord,
Many thanks for the formula answer and the explanation.
Greatly appreciated
FG