Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Bar chart help wanted

Hello to everybody !

I have this kind of data:
TIME VALUE
0:00:00 0
0:00:34 1
0:00:35 1
0:01:00 0
0:01:30 0
0:01:33 1
0:01:55 1
0:01:59 0
0:02:00 0
0:02:10 1
0:02:15 1
0:03:00 0
0:03:05 0
0:03:07 1
0:03:55 1
0:08:00 0

and I need to create bar chart that would have a bar of the hight equal to 1
at each time value where the "value" in table (Y-axis) equals one (and also
between "one"s values). In all other time values the Y value is zero !

Excel bar chart seems to omit all values that are not in the dataset ! I
need to include also those time values that are not explicitly listed in the
table - all those should be zero by default - e.g. 0:00:36 will be zero,
0:00:37 will also be zero until 0:01:33 where there will be again value of 1.

Is it possible to make this kind of chart in Excel ?

Thanks in advance

Vlado

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The columns (vertical bars) are going to be pretty narrow eventually, as the
number of time points increases.

In a column chart, you only get the time values that are listed, because
they are treated as labels, not as numerical values.

Here's a different approach, which will look pretty much the same. Create an
XY chart of the data, which will give you control over the X values You will
get points at Y=1 for the points where Y=1, and at Y=0 for the points where
Y=0, and nothing for any other times. When setting the X axis scale, enter
the times in time format, for example, enter 0:00:00 for minimum and 0:02:00
for major unit (if 2 minutes is appropriate for that of course).

Then double click on the series of points. On the Y Error Bars tab, choose
the negative icon, and choose a percentage of 100%; on the Patterns tab,
choose None for Marker and Line to hide the data points themselves. Finally
double click on the error bars, and choose a line color and thickness that
you like, and choose the line effect that does not have the end caps.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Vlado Sveda" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Almost perfect ...

Thanks a lot Jon !

The last think I have to solve is to have filfull bar (space) between two
"1" values - according to my table: I need to have fulfilled bars between
0:00:34 and 0:00:35, between 0:01:33 and 0:01:55, ... and so on

Vlado

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

That's like a step chart

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/StepChart.html

If you need it filled in below the line, look at this XY-Area combination
chart technique. It won't be filled with bars, but by a solid area:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/XYAreaChart.html

If you really *need* separate bars, you're back to filling in all the
missing data points.

- Jon
-------