Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Cell containgn a date and a text

Can someone please advise, how can I extract a date from a cell which
contains a date and a text.

FEDERAL HOME LN BKS CONS BD 3%0 Callable 11/11/07@100

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN BNCHMRK 3

I would like to have one cell contain a date 11/11/07 if it is there else
"none callable is there's no date.

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN BNCHMRK 3

also, how can I have a cell display only company name and not the rest of
the text.

FEDERAL HOME LN BKS

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN

Thank you in advance for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming that the date format is *always* the same: mm/dd/yy, *AND* there
are no other "/" within the string.

=IF(COUNT(FIND("/",A1)),--MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)-2,8),"none")

Format the cell as DATE

also, how can I have a cell display only company name and not the rest of
the text.

So what's the company name for this:

FEDERAL HOME LN BKS CONS BD 3%0 Callable 11/11/07@100

Good luck with that!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Iguss" wrote in message

Can someone please advise, how can I extract a date from a cell which
contains a date and a text.

FEDERAL HOME LN BKS CONS BD 3%0 Callable 11/11/07@100

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN BNCHMRK 3

I would like to have one cell contain a date 11/11/07 if it is there else
"none callable is there's no date.

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN BNCHMRK 3

also, how can I have a cell display only company name and not the rest of
the text.

FEDERAL HOME LN BKS

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN

Thank you in advance for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you so much.

Names are,

FEDERAL FARM CR BKS CONS CONS B Callable 05/01/08@100
Federal Farm Credit Bank

FEDERAL HOME LN BKS CONS BD 3%0 Callable 11/11/07@100
Federal Home Loan Bank

FEDERAL HOME LN BKS CONS BD 6.6
Federal Home Loan Bank

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN BNCHMRK 3
Federal National Mortgage Association

Thank you again

"Iguss" wrote in message

Can someone please advise, how can I extract a date from a cell which
contains a date and a text.

FEDERAL HOME LN BKS CONS BD 3%0 Callable 11/11/07@100

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN BNCHMRK 3

I would like to have one cell contain a date 11/11/07 if it is there else
"none callable is there's no date.

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN BNCHMRK 3

also, how can I have a cell display only company name and not the rest of
the text.

FEDERAL HOME LN BKS

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN

Thank you in advance for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't think you're going to be able to extract the company name *unless*
there is some recognizable pattern.

With all the samples you posted the name is before either CONS or BNCHMRK.
Does that pattern exist in all of your entries?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Iguss" wrote in message

Can someone please advise, how can I extract a date from a cell which
contains a date and a text.

FEDERAL HOME LN BKS CONS BD 3%0 Callable 11/11/07@100

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN BNCHMRK 3

I would like to have one cell contain a date 11/11/07 if it is there
else
"none callable is there's no date.

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN BNCHMRK 3

also, how can I have a cell display only company name and not the rest
of
the text.

FEDERAL HOME LN BKS

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN