Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculation value displays in formula

My ss recently started displaying a partial calculation in the formula. The
result is correct, but I need to be able to see original entry. To simplify,
if I enter 2*5*3 the formula displays 10*3. I am sure I have accidently
clicked something, but I don't know what. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You've posted this before, and gotten several responses - it would be
better to keep to that thread rather than starting a new one, so that
those responding don't waste their time making the same suggestions
you've already received.

If the responses weren't helpful, at the very least you should include
that information in your post. And perhaps you shouldn't simplify, as
what you're describing doesn't happen automatically - there *must*
either be user or macro intervention.

In article ,
Sandy wrote:

My ss recently started displaying a partial calculation in the formula. The
result is correct, but I need to be able to see original entry. To simplify,
if I enter 2*5*3 the formula displays 10*3. I am sure I have accidently
clicked something, but I don't know what. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you enter 2*5*3 the cell should display 2*5*3 (text)
If you enter =2*5*3 (with = to indicate formula) the cell should display 30
I cannot think of any way to get =10*3
Please do this on a new workBOOK and tell us what happens.
Also enter just 2*5 and see what happens
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Sandy" wrote in message
My ss recently started displaying a partial calculation in the formula.
The
result is correct, but I need to be able to see original entry. To
simplify,
if I enter 2*5*3 the formula displays 10*3. I am sure I have accidently
clicked something, but I don't know what. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The entry +2*5*3 yields the correct result of 30. The problem is when I
click on the cell I cannot see my original entry - instead it shows =10*3.
The entry +900/3*4 returns the correct result of 1200, however, when I click
on the cell it shows =300*4. Any entry with only 2 components works fine.
This is the only workbook that does this, however, it does it on all sheets.
As an accountant, in Excel, I have always used the + sign instead of the =
sign because it is so much faster and more intuitive.

I am sorry about posting on 2 different boards. The first posting was
already on page 3, and the only response was a question, which I had then
answered, and figured had probably been forgotten.

"Sandy" wrote in message
My ss recently started displaying a partial calculation in the formula.
The
result is correct, but I need to be able to see original entry. To
simplify,
if I enter 2*5*3 the formula displays 10*3. I am sure I have accidently
clicked something, but I don't know what. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If it's only one workbook, I'd strongly suspect you have an event macro
running (in your ThisWorkbook code module), though why it would be set
up to do that, I don't know.

The only other way I know of to accomplish that transformation is to
highlight the 900/3 and press F9...

Don't know anything about "pages" - newsgroups don't have them and most
newsreaders don't display in pages. But you're probably reading news via
a much clunkier web portal...

In article ,
Sandy wrote:

The entry +2*5*3 yields the correct result of 30. The problem is when I
click on the cell I cannot see my original entry - instead it shows =10*3.
The entry +900/3*4 returns the correct result of 1200, however, when I click
on the cell it shows =300*4. Any entry with only 2 components works fine.
This is the only workbook that does this, however, it does it on all sheets.
As an accountant, in Excel, I have always used the + sign instead of the =
sign because it is so much faster and more intuitive.

I am sorry about posting on 2 different boards. The first posting was
already on page 3, and the only response was a question, which I had then
answered, and figured had probably been forgotten.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

<<This is the only workbook this is why I asked what happened in a NEW
WORKBOOK. As JE McG points out you may very well have a macro at work in
the problem book.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme