Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Protected Range Not Protected

I have a workbook I inherited. I set up a range to protect so that the cells
are editable when the sheet is protected. But even when protected there are
other cells that are not protected. I did not specify them and do not see
them in the list of ranges that are excluded from protection. So how to do I
turn off this lack of protection so these cells are now protected? I could
delete the rows and recreate them and this MIGHT work, but I wanted another
solution, if possible.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Mike,

By default all cells in a worksheet are protected but this is only activated
when the sheet is protected. It sounds like some of this deault setting may
have been changed so:-

Select all cells and click
Format|Cells|Protection and un-check and re-check locked,

Then select any cells you want users to edit and repeat the above leaving
the locked box un-checked.

Protect the sheet.

Mike

"Mike H." wrote:

I have a workbook I inherited. I set up a range to protect so that the cells
are editable when the sheet is protected. But even when protected there are
other cells that are not protected. I did not specify them and do not see
them in the list of ranges that are excluded from protection. So how to do I
turn off this lack of protection so these cells are now protected? I could
delete the rows and recreate them and this MIGHT work, but I wanted another
solution, if possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That was the problem. Thanks, Mike.