Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can you link to a drop down list from another drop down list?

I've got a worksheet with some drop down boxes. I would like for the chosen
option to spawn other drop down boxes elsewhere in the worksheet.

For example, if I have a box with:
- Red
- Green
- Blue
then someone chooses Green, I would like for another specific cell to
display another drop down box with:
- Tree
- Frog
- Car

If they choose Red, then 3 other choices should appear in the "treefrogcar"
cell...

I hope this makes sense. I don't know how to do this.

Thanks,
DeNise
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See Debra Dalgleish's coverage of Dependent Lists:

Is that something you can work with?
Post back if you have more questions.
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Kentucky Insurance" wrote:

I've got a worksheet with some drop down boxes. I would like for the chosen
option to spawn other drop down boxes elsewhere in the worksheet.

For example, if I have a box with:
- Red
- Green
- Blue
then someone chooses Green, I would like for another specific cell to
display another drop down box with:
- Tree
- Frog
- Car

If they choose Red, then 3 other choices should appear in the "treefrogcar"
cell...

I hope this makes sense. I don't know how to do this.

Thanks,
DeNise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On 24 Sep, 20:30, Kentucky Insurance
wrote:
I've got a worksheet with some drop down boxes. I would like for the chosen
option to spawn other drop down boxes elsewhere in the worksheet.

For example, if I have a box with:
- Red
- Green
- Blue
then someone chooses Green, I would like for another specific cell to
display another drop down box with:
- Tree
- Frog
- Car

If they choose Red, then 3 other choices should appear in the "treefrogcar"
cell...

I hope this makes sense. I don't know how to do this.

Thanks,
DeNise

Hello Denise.

You need to make the choice for each colour a named range.
For instance would put the following anywhere in your workbook:
ManU Tree Chelsea
Ferrari Frog Sky
Apple Car Water

Then give each group a name, red, green and blue.
If the first drop-down is in A1, then the second data-validation would
be: =indirect(a1)

Fortunately it is easier to do than to explain.
Please let me know and I will send you a sample workbook.

Per Erik