Sukismomma

Default Assign a number to a name

Hi All!

I am working on a spreadsheet that has a number of project names listed in
column A.

I want to assign a ID code to each project and have them be "linked" so that
number will be added to a summary sheet whenever the project name or number
is referenced thru out several sheets within that workbook and an external
workbook.

For example:
Column A (on Resouce Sheet)
Project A= 1
Project B= 2
Project C=3

Through out the worksheets those project names or numbers will show up where
there are dependancies on projects.

ON the Summary sheet, I have a column A named
Project Name

Column B named
Project dependancies

I want to populate the column B with the project ID number if it is located
on the detailed sheets.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Bob Phillips

Put the id in an adjacent column and then use

=VLOOKUP(project_name,'Resource Sheet'!A1:B100,2,False)

to get the id anywhere else.

--

HTH

RP

"Sukismomma" wrote in message
[...]

Sukismomma

I'm sorry but I am still confused.

If I understand what you are saying, the search is not checking all sheets
within the Summary workbook as well as the external workbook.

I can assign the project a number, but it's locating that throughout all is
where I am getting stumped. Maybe it is easier than I am thinking, but
appreciate some more feedback.

Thanks!