Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need to remove unused rows and columns to minumize size

I am working with a very large workbook and need to remove unformated or used
rows and columsn. I am new to excel and need some help please.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am not sure if you want to remove the used cells etc, however this might
help..

go to cell A1 on the desired worksheet
hit CTRL+SHIFT+END this will select the editted region on the worksheet
hit CTRL+ - (hyphen) this will delete all the cells
save the work book.
--
Pranav Vaidya
VBA Developer

"Irishcauffey" wrote:

I am working with a very large workbook and need to remove unformated or used
rows and columsn. I am new to excel and need some help please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The process you gave removes all data entered into the worksheet which is not
what I think was requested.
I have a similar problem. I need to reduce worksheets to a minimum size and
so want to minimize the number of rows and columns to a minimum (especially
rows). It seems that Excel does not shrink the size of the worksheet
automatically, I may have 50,000 to 65,000 rows of raw data when I start, by
the time I filter out bad and unnecessary data I could have it reduced to
5000 rows, all the rest are now blank but Excel does not remove the blank
cells. How can I do that ?

Regards
Ed

"Irishcauffey" wrote:

I am working with a very large workbook and need to remove unformated or used
rows and columsn. I am new to excel and need some help please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excel will never remove the blank cells. These are for display only and does
not affect your workbook size etc. If you don not wish to see them, just
select the desired rows, cols and hide them.

HTH,
--

"Irishcauffey" wrote:

I am working with a very large workbook and need to remove unformated or used
rows and columsn. I am new to excel and need some help please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi, Thanks. I tried that and much to my surprise an empty worksheet with 100
rows or 50,000 rows was the same size file.

Now I have another problem. I have another sheet in this WB with about
75,000 rows of which after filtering only about 25,000 rows are needed, the
rows with good data can be identified as the cells in Column D that have a
value greater that 0 a quick sort can place all these at the top of the
worksheet. Once this is done I want to delete all the data from the other
columns/rows below row 25,000. I need a solution that can be placed in a
macro to run and one that will find the 0 value cell as the next worksheet
may only have 2200 lines of good data s I cannot fix the macro to line 25000.

again, the goal is the same - to minimize the size of the file to be saved
to disk

"Irishcauffey" wrote:

I am working with a very large workbook and need to remove unformated or used
rows and columsn. I am new to excel and need some help please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I believe I have found a solution to removing blank rows at the bottom of
your worksheet so they do not display - at least until you page down past the
last displayed row again.
highlight (pick) an entire column, then F5specialblanksOK
then editdeleteentire row
The rows may still be displayed at this point but if you save and reopen the
file they will all be gone.
Understand that all these rows are still in the "worksheet" but just not
displayed on the screen and if you copy a number or formula down a column it
will only copy to the number of displayed rows.
Regards
Ed