Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Basic question...sorry

I'm new and trying to maximize a shipment with certain parameters. I have 6
products differing in weights (5,4,3.5,3,2,1) each with different costs
(9,8,7,6,5,4) and sale price(17,13,11,9,7,5). I can only send a combination
of 3 products lines with 4-8 pieces of product and cannot weigh more than 50
pounds. I am trying to maximize profit.

I reviewed solver but am lost, can anyone forward me to some help?

Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is ,in my opinion, a "linear programming" problem. You may have to set
the equations for maximising profits, simulateneously identifying the
constraints ( say, in your case, the combined weight cannot be more than 50
pounds, products cannot be more than 3 and so on). For solving the equations
you may use Excel. If you are not familiar with linear programming nor have
any study material I suggest you refer to wikipedia.org.

"jen the runner" wrote:

I'm new and trying to maximize a shipment with certain parameters. I have 6
products differing in weights (5,4,3.5,3,2,1) each with different costs
(9,8,7,6,5,4) and sale price(17,13,11,9,7,5). I can only send a combination
of 3 products lines with 4-8 pieces of product and cannot weigh more than 50
pounds. I am trying to maximize profit.

I reviewed solver but am lost, can anyone forward me to some help?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Since your largest weight is 5 and the package can contain a maximum of
8 pieces, any combination of eight pieces will weigh less than 50 lbs,
so it really doesn't matter how you ship, given the information you've
posted. You can maximize profit by shipping 8 pieces of the 1st product.

That assumes, of course, that shipping costs don't vary with weight,
that any 8 pieces will fit in your shipping package, and that your
customers are indifferent to which products they receive.

In article ,
jen the runner <jen the wrote:

I'm new and trying to maximize a shipment with certain parameters. I have 6
products differing in weights (5,4,3.5,3,2,1) each with different costs
(9,8,7,6,5,4) and sale price(17,13,11,9,7,5). I can only send a combination
of 3 products lines with 4-8 pieces of product and cannot weigh more than 50
pounds. I am trying to maximize profit.

I reviewed solver but am lost, can anyone forward me to some help?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wt per pc 5 4 3.5 3 2 1
cost per pc 9 8 7 6 5 4
product counter 1 1 0 0 0 1
ini-counter pcs 6 4 0 0 0 4
count pcs 6 4 0 0 0 4
cost 54 32 0 0 0 16
sum wt 30 16 0 0 0 4
sale price 17 13 11 9 7 5
sale amt 102 52 0 0 0 20
profit 72.00

the solver says you can have profit of 72 <sales-cost.
if
u send /sell
6 units of product weighing 5lbs. ea.
4 units of product weighing 4lbs. ea.
4 units of product weighing 1 lb. ea.

jen the runner <jen the wrote:

I'm new and trying to maximize a shipment with certain parameters. I have 6
products differing in weights (5,4,3.5,3,2,1) each with different costs
(9,8,7,6,5,4) and sale price(17,13,11,9,7,5). I can only send a combination
of 3 products lines with 4-8 pieces of product and cannot weigh more than 50
pounds. I am trying to maximize profit.

I reviewed solver but am lost, can anyone forward me to some help?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I figured this out manually but cannot get into the correct formula. My
constraints aren't even working...This is a project for school that has been
getting the best of me all day! feel free to email my contact email address
and I can email my progress, or lack thereof:(

jen the runner <jen the wrote:

I'm new and trying to maximize a shipment with certain parameters. I have 6
products differing in weights (5,4,3.5,3,2,1) each with different costs
(9,8,7,6,5,4) and sale price(17,13,11,9,7,5). I can only send a combination
of 3 products lines with 4-8 pieces of product and cannot weigh more than 50
pounds. I am trying to maximize profit.

I reviewed solver but am lost, can anyone forward me to some help?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

These are what I have on the sheet and below is what I have in my "solver" box.

Constraints:
# of orders: 20
Weight(lbs) 50
# of Title/Authors: 3
Max orders per title/author 8
Min orders per title/author 4

Solver box:

Cannot copy?

jen the runner <jen the wrote:

I'm new and trying to maximize a shipment with certain parameters. I have 6
products differing in weights (5,4,3.5,3,2,1) each with different costs
(9,8,7,6,5,4) and sale price(17,13,11,9,7,5). I can only send a combination
of 3 products lines with 4-8 pieces of product and cannot weigh more than 50
pounds. I am trying to maximize profit.

I reviewed solver but am lost, can anyone forward me to some help?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

here's my addr.
.

remove <nospam
i will see your file and wait for tomorrow..