Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Finding Source of DropDown Field

I have a quote form that was created by a former employee and I need to edit
a couple of drop down fields to add new and delete old sales reps. I have
never worked with drop down fields but after reading through this forum, I
understand that I can find the source when I go to Data Validation -and
look under the box for Source. However, rather than showing a range where
the list is contained, it shows =Sales. I don't find any other cells in the
worksheet with Sales Reps, nor do any of the other worksheets contain this
info. I just don't know where else to look. Can anyone point me in the
right direction?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The "Sales" reference is to a Named Range.

Easiest, if the sheet the range is on is NOT hidden and the Name doesn't
refer to an array constant:
Press the [F5] key.....Select Sales from the list.....Click [OK] to select
the range.

Otherwise:
From the Excel Main Menu
<insert<name<define
Select Sales from the list

Check the Refers To box for the referenced range.

Post back if you have more questions.

Regards,

Ron (xl2003, Win Pro)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"blucajun" wrote in message
I have a quote form that was created by a former employee and I need to
edit
a couple of drop down fields to add new and delete old sales reps. I have
never worked with drop down fields but after reading through this forum, I
understand that I can find the source when I go to Data Validation -and
look under the box for Source. However, rather than showing a range where
the list is contained, it shows =Sales. I don't find any other cells in
the
worksheet with Sales Reps, nor do any of the other worksheets contain this
info. I just don't know where else to look. Can anyone point me in the
right direction?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Sales" is a defined name for a range where the source data is. Press Ctrl +
F3 or go to Insert Names Define. Look for "Sales" in the list and you'll
see the ranges it references in the "Refers To:" box.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

"blucajun" wrote:

I have a quote form that was created by a former employee and I need to edit
a couple of drop down fields to add new and delete old sales reps. I have
never worked with drop down fields but after reading through this forum, I
understand that I can find the source when I go to Data Validation -and
look under the box for Source. However, rather than showing a range where
the list is contained, it shows =Sales. I don't find any other cells in the
worksheet with Sales Reps, nor do any of the other worksheets contain this
info. I just don't know where else to look. Can anyone point me in the
right direction?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Okay, when I do your first method below -nothing happens. I assume it's
supposed to take me to the list but it doesn't do anything. So, I did the
second option below [<insert<name<define] and I can see Sales in the list.
But when I select it, the Refers to: box just says: =lists!$L$1:$L$13

Ack! Where is this list hidden?! If there is a hidden worksheet, how to I
unhide it?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

The "Sales" reference is to a Named Range.

Easiest, if the sheet the range is on is NOT hidden and the Name doesn't
refer to an array constant:
Press the [F5] key.....Select Sales from the list.....Click [OK] to select
the range.

Otherwise:
From the Excel Main Menu

"blucajun" wrote in message
I have a quote form that was created by a former employee and I need to
edit
a couple of drop down fields to add new and delete old sales reps. I have
never worked with drop down fields but after reading through this forum, I
understand that I can find the source when I go to Data Validation -and
look under the box for Source. However, rather than showing a range where
the list is contained, it shows =Sales. I don't find any other cells in
the
worksheet with Sales Reps, nor do any of the other worksheets contain this
info. I just don't know where else to look. Can anyone point me in the
right direction?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

From the Excel Main Menu: <format<sheet<unhide...Select: Lists....Click
[OK]

Note: if the workbook structure is
protected....<tools<protection<unprotect workbook
If that doesn't work, you'll need to get the password to unprotect the
workbook.

Does that help?

Ron (xl2003, Win Pro)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

The "Sales" reference is to a Named Range.

Easiest, if the sheet the range is on is NOT hidden and the Name doesn't
refer to an array constant:
Press the [F5] key.....Select Sales from the list.....Click [OK] to
select
the range.

Otherwise:
From the Excel Main Menu

"blucajun" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're very welcome!.....I'm glad I could help.

Ron (xl2003, Win Pro)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"blucajun" wrote in message
That was it! Thanks a bunch!

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

From the Excel Main Menu: <format<sheet<unhide...Select:
Lists....Click

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

The "Sales" reference is to a Named Range.

Easiest, if the sheet the range is on is NOT hidden and the Name
doesn't
refer to an array constant:
Press the [F5] key.....Select Sales from the list.....Click [OK] to
select
the range.

Otherwise:
From the Excel Main Menu