Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with Dates

I have two columns starting at I2 and J2. I need a formula that will tell me
what dates in I2 come before or expire before those in J2. Right now I have
the columns formatted as Number, Date, 03/14/2001. I have tried =(I2<J2) but
that is not working and I guess it's because I am comparing dates and not
#'s.

Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Whether I format cells a Custom dd-mmm, as Date 2001-03-14 or as date
14-03-2001, or wether I format as any combination of these, it works for me?

--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman
Change xxx to hotmail

"relo rob" wrote:

I have two columns starting at I2 and J2. I need a formula that will tell me
what dates in I2 come before or expire before those in J2. Right now I have
the columns formatted as Number, Date, 03/14/2001. I have tried =(I2<J2) but
that is not working and I guess it's because I am comparing dates and not
#'s.

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Kassie,

Thanks for the response. Are you saying the conditional format is right I
just don't have my column formated right? I need the cells column I2 to
change a color if they are expire before the dates in J2?

"relo rob" wrote:

I have two columns starting at I2 and J2. I need a formula that will tell me
what dates in I2 come before or expire before those in J2. Right now I have
the columns formatted as Number, Date, 03/14/2001. I have tried =(I2<J2) but
that is not working and I guess it's because I am comparing dates and not
#'s.

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No reason why it should not work.
BTW: parens not needed, use =I2<J2
Experiment by typing two dates in some blank cells (maybe in a new workbook)
If you still cannot get it to work come back, were want to help!
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"relo rob" wrote in message
I have two columns starting at I2 and J2. I need a formula that will tell
me
what dates in I2 come before or expire before those in J2. Right now I
have
the columns formatted as Number, Date, 03/14/2001. I have tried =(I2<J2)
but
that is not working and I guess it's because I am comparing dates and not
#'s.

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If your data values are really numbers formatted as dates, then your formula
should work.
Perhaps some of them are text rather than numbers? Check with =ISNUMBER(I2)
and =ISTEXT(I2) (and correspondingly for J2). Otherwise you can check by
changing the format temporarily to something like dd-mmm-yyyy; if they
don't change, they're presumably text.
--
David Biddulph

"relo rob" wrote in message
I have two columns starting at I2 and J2. I need a formula that will tell
me
what dates in I2 come before or expire before those in J2. Right now I
have
the columns formatted as Number, Date, 03/14/2001. I have tried =(I2<J2)
but
that is not working and I guess it's because I am comparing dates and not
#'s.

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here is a small sampling of my file. Clearly not all of these should be false
I J K
09/09/2007 11/7/2007 FALSE
09/10/2007 9/6/2007 FALSE
09/14/2007 9/10/2007 FALSE
09/14/2007 9/10/2007 FALSE
09/15/2007 9/11/2007 FALSE
09/16/2007 9/12/2007 FALSE
09/17/2007 9/13/2007 FALSE
09/24/2007 9/24/2007 FALSE
09/29/2007 9/30/2007 FALSE
10/01/2007 9/15/2007 FALSE
10/04/2007 10/1/2007 FALSE
10/04/2007 10/1/2007 FALSE
10/04/2007 10/1/2007 FALSE
10/04/2007 9/27/2007 FALSE
10/05/2007 10/2/2007 FALSE
10/08/2007 10/5/2007 FALSE
10/11/2007 10/8/2007 FALSE
10/14/2007 10/11/2007 FALSE
10/15/2007 10/13/2007 FALSE

I would like to use conditional formatting so any date in column I that is
prior to or before the date in column J is highlighted. The way it is now I
am just using I<J and not all of them should be false. What am I doing wrong.