Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need help with calculation - Duration or Time multiplied by cost

I am so rubbish with Excel but can normally muddle by but I am stuck with
this one.

I have a supplied spreadsheet that contain telephony information. The sheet
contains a duration column (no formatting, just general) that contains
figures like 00:00:44 and 00:15:48

I know that my per second billing is a value of 0.0166

Is there formula I can use to do duration * 0.0166 = cost ?

I hope this makes sense.. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With your time value in A1

=A1*86400*0.0166

or easier to understand

=A1*24*60*60*0.0166

note that it is important that you format the cell with the formula as
currency or number or else it will default to time format since you are
calculating a cell that has that format

You might also want to round to the nearest penny either directly in the
formula or in the sum formula (I am assuming here) to get the totals

=ROUND(A1*86400*0.0166,2)

Peo Sjoblom

"Dave Lee" wrote in message
I am so rubbish with Excel but can normally muddle by but I am stuck with
this one.

I have a supplied spreadsheet that contain telephony information. The
sheet contains a duration column (no formatting, just general) that
contains figures like 00:00:44 and 00:15:48

I know that my per second billing is a value of 0.0166

Is there formula I can use to do duration * 0.0166 = cost ?

I hope this makes sense.. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am so rubbish with Excel but can normally muddle by but I am stuck with
this one.

I have a supplied spreadsheet that contain telephony information. The
sheet contains a duration column (no formatting, just general) that
contains figures like 00:00:44 and 00:15:48

I know that my per second billing is a value of 0.0166

Is there formula I can use to do duration * 0.0166 = cost ?

Two questions...

1. When you click in one of your duration cells (say, the 00:15:48 one),
what is shown in the Formula Bar?

2. Your 0.0166 multiplier... for what time period is that? Per hour? Per
minute? Per second?

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

try:

=Round(A1*86400*0.0166,2)

Format as number/currency

A1=Your time

"Dave Lee" wrote:

I am so rubbish with Excel but can normally muddle by but I am stuck with
this one.

I have a supplied spreadsheet that contain telephony information. The sheet
contains a duration column (no formatting, just general) that contains
figures like 00:00:44 and 00:15:48

I know that my per second billing is a value of 0.0166

Is there formula I can use to do duration * 0.0166 = cost ?

I hope this makes sense.. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Although this is working for me now I will still answer you

1. When you click in one of your duration cells (say, the 00:15:48 one),
what is shown in the Formula Bar? - 00:15:48 is shown

2. Your 0.0166 multiplier... for what time period is that? Per hour? Per
minute? Per second? - My billing rate is 0.996 pence per minute equalling
0.0166 per second

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...