Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Date

Is there some way that just by passing over a cell in Excel it will
automatically insert the current date.. I think I've done this with past
versions of Excel.. but I can't seem to remember how I did it and I can't
seem to find any documentation on how to automate this task
--
Randy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm not sure what you mean by passing over a cell. If you select the cell
and press CTRL+; (semi-colon), Excel inserts today's date in the cell. If
you put the formula: =TODAY(), that will put today's date in the cell every
time the worksheet is recalculated. CTRL+: (colon) puts the current system
time in the cell

"Randy" wrote in message
Is there some way that just by passing over a cell in Excel it will
automatically insert the current date.. I think I've done this with past
versions of Excel.. but I can't seem to remember how I did it and I can't
seem to find any documentation on how to automate this task
--
Randy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe I wasn't clear.. and when when read my question over I could see how I
may get the wrong answer.. let me attempt to be a little more clear.. When I
pass over a cell.. I mean like <tab through a series of cells and when I go
through a 'date' cell it automatically inserts the current date.. I think
I've been able to do it before.. I know about the CTRL+;.. and about the
TODAY() functions.. maybe this function really isn't possible.. please let me
know
--
Randy

"Randy" wrote in message
Is there some way that just by passing over a cell in Excel it will
automatically insert the current date.. I think I've done this with past
versions of Excel.. but I can't seem to remember how I did it and I can't
seem to find any documentation on how to automate this task
--
Randy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Randy

You don't specify any particular cells that are "date" cells.

This event code will stick a date into any cell in column E as you Tab into
column E

On Error GoTo enditall
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Cells.Column = 5 Then
n = Target.Row
Excel.Range("E" & n).Value = Now
End If
enditall:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Can be re-written for an array of cells you Tab to.

This is sheet event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code".

Copy/paste code into that sheet module.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP