Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Make it Simple!

If I want to create Date Cells in Row A (Jan 2007. Feb 2007, etc) is there a
quick and easy formula that allows me to merely copy and paste, as opposed to
typing each Date and Year in each indiviudal cell? I'm setting up dates for
2007 and 2008, and just want to find a quicker way to do it.

Thanks

Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just type in the date, such as Jan 2007, format it the way you want and use
the fill handle in the lower right corner of the cell border (looks like a
black square with a white border). Your cursor will change to a cross when
it's on the fill handle. Then left click and drag the cell down. Excel will
fill in the dates.

"Dan the Man" wrote in message
If I want to create Date Cells in Row A (Jan 2007. Feb 2007, etc) is there
quick and easy formula that allows me to merely copy and paste, as opposed
typing each Date and Year in each indiviudal cell? I'm setting up dates
for
2007 and 2008, and just want to find a quicker way to do it.

Thanks

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jul 15, 4:30 pm, Dan the Man
wrote:
If I want to create Date Cells in Row A (Jan 2007. Feb 2007, etc) is there a
quick and easy formula that allows me to merely copy and paste, as opposed to
typing each Date and Year in each indiviudal cell? I'm setting up dates for
2007 and 2008, and just want to find a quicker way to do it.

Does the following meet your needs?

Enter the dates 1/1/2007 and 2/1/2007 into two cells. Right-click,
click Format Cells, select Custom, and enter "mmm yyyy" in the Type
field. Now, select both cells and drag the handle in the lower right
corner across (or down) for as many dates as you need.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

A1: 01/01/2007

From the Excel main menu:
<edit<fill<series
Series in: Columns
Type: Date
Date unit: Month
Step value: 1
Stop value: 12/1/2008
Click [OK]

Is that something you can work with?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Dan the Man" wrote:

If I want to create Date Cells in Row A (Jan 2007. Feb 2007, etc) is there a
quick and easy formula that allows me to merely copy and paste, as opposed to
typing each Date and Year in each indiviudal cell? I'm setting up dates for
2007 and 2008, and just want to find a quicker way to do it.

Thanks

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I got the fill handle to show up once, and made the dates fill as desired,
but when I tried it again I couldn't get it. I dragged my cursor over the
lower right corner of the cell border (after formatting my date). Is that
fill handle invisible, lol?

Dan

"Dan the Man" wrote in message
If I want to create Date Cells in Row A (Jan 2007. Feb 2007, etc) is there
quick and easy formula that allows me to merely copy and paste, as opposed
typing each Date and Year in each indiviudal cell? I'm setting up dates
for
2007 and 2008, and just want to find a quicker way to do it.

Thanks

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Dan the Man" wrote...
Thanks Everyone! I know that little "fill" icon will show up again. Alas!

If you mean it's not appearing in the bottom-right corner of the border
around the active cell, run the menu command Tools Options, select the
Edit tab in the Options dialog, make sure the item 'Allow cell drag and
drop' is checked, click OK.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Did you select the cell? Also after you fill, you will get a smart tip. You
can click on that and select months for example if Excel filled in days. To
make it fill in months, just enter 1/1/2007 in A1 and 2/1/2007 in A2 ,
format the dates as you wish, select A1 and A2 and drag the fill handle down
the column. Excel will guess at what the fill is supposed to be. If you
enter Jan 2007 in A1, select A1 and drag the fill handle down, you'll get
Feb 2007 in A2, Mar 2007 in A3 etc. If you format A1 as 1/1/2007 and drag
that down, you'll get 1/2/2007 then 1/3/2007 etc. If you enter numbers like
1 in A1 and 7 in A2 and select A1 and A2 then drag them down by the fill
handle, you'll get 13 in A3, 19 in A4, etc. because Excel computes the
difference between 7 and 1, 6 and uses that to increment each number. 7 + 6
= 13. 13 + 6 = 19.