Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel Newbie...How To Re-Order Data

Hello,

I'm 100% new to Excel (btw, I have Excel 2002) and need assistance with the
following, please.

I have an Excel spreadsheet, running many hundreds of pages, that has 7
columns.

They are, from left to right, as follows:

1. Person's name
2. Person's street address
3. Person's city
4. Person's state
5. Person's Zip code
6. Reference number assigned to the person
7. Monetary amount

The *current* spreadsheet is neither in alphabetical nor numerical order.

For example, 3 consecutive entries may appear as:

Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23

What I would like to do is re-order the spreadsheet by *monetary amount*, as
long as the data associated with each amount is maintained by the same
re-ordering.

To be more specific, I wish the spreadsheet to appear as:

Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23
Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57

OR

Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select your data range, including all the relevant rows and columns. Then
Data/ Sort by .../ and choose the relevant column by which to sort.
--
David Biddulph

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello David,

Thank you very much for the instructions.

I thought that the re-ordering would be quite difficult to achieve. On the
contrary, your instructions made it quite easy.

Much appreciated!

Regards,

Martin

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
| Select your data range, including all the relevant rows and columns. Then
| Data/ Sort by .../ and choose the relevant column by which to sort.
| --
| David Biddulph
|
| "Martin" wrote in message
| .. .
| Hello,
|
| I'm 100% new to Excel (btw, I have Excel 2002) and need assistance with
| the
| following, please.
|
| I have an Excel spreadsheet, running many hundreds of pages, that has 7
| columns.
|
| They are, from left to right, as follows:
|
| 1. Person's name
| 2. Person's street address
| 3. Person's city
| 4. Person's state
| 5. Person's Zip code
| 6. Reference number assigned to the person
| 7. Monetary amount
|
| The *current* spreadsheet is neither in alphabetical nor numerical
order.

| For example, 3 consecutive entries may appear as:
|
| Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
| Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
| Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23
|
| What I would like to do is re-order the spreadsheet by *monetary
amount*,
| as
| long as the data associated with each amount is maintained by the same
| re-ordering.
|
| To be more specific, I wish the spreadsheet to appear as:
|
| Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23
| Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
| Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
|
| OR
|
| Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
| Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
| Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated!
|
| Thank you.
|
| Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel Newbie...How To Re-Order Data from PDF File

Hello David and/or whomever else reads this post:

In addition to Excel spreadsheets as described below, I also have PDF files
with the same type of information and in the same format from left to right.

Just as with the Excel spreadsheet, the monetary amounts are neither in
ascending or descending order; they are in random "order".

Is there any way, even if quite difficult, to modify a PDF file so that its
contents will be similar to those of a spreadsheet after re-ordering?

Once again, thank you for any assistance provided!

Regards,

Martin

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
| Hello David,
|
| Thank you very much for the instructions.
|
| I thought that the re-ordering would be quite difficult to achieve. On the
| contrary, your instructions made it quite easy.
|
| Much appreciated!
|
| Regards,
|
| Martin
|
| "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
|| Select your data range, including all the relevant rows and columns.
Then
|| Data/ Sort by .../ and choose the relevant column by which to sort.
|| --
|| David Biddulph
|| "Martin" wrote in message
|| .. .
|| Hello,
|| I'm 100% new to Excel (btw, I have Excel 2002) and need assistance with
|| the
|| following, please.
|| I have an Excel spreadsheet, running many hundreds of pages, that has 7
|| columns.
|| They are, from left to right, as follows:
|| 1. Person's name
|| 2. Person's street address
|| 3. Person's city
|| 4. Person's state
|| 5. Person's Zip code
|| 6. Reference number assigned to the person
|| 7. Monetary amount
|| The *current* spreadsheet is neither in alphabetical nor numerical
| order.
|| For example, 3 consecutive entries may appear as:
|| Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
|| Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
|| Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23
|| What I would like to do is re-order the spreadsheet by *monetary
| amount*,
|| as
|| long as the data associated with each amount is maintained by the same
|| re-ordering.
|| To be more specific, I wish the spreadsheet to appear as:
|| Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23
|| Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
|| Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
|| OR
|| Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
|| Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
|| Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23
|| Any help would be greatly appreciated!
|| Thank you.
|| Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could import/copy the PDF into Excel, do the sorting and save as a new PDF
file.

Here are some tips from David McRitchie

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/pdf.htm

http://kenchiro.tripod.com/howtoPDF.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:01:15 GMT, "Martin" wrote:

Hello David and/or whomever else reads this post:

In addition to Excel spreadsheets as described below, I also have PDF files
with the same type of information and in the same format from left to right.

Just as with the Excel spreadsheet, the monetary amounts are neither in
ascending or descending order; they are in random "order".

Is there any way, even if quite difficult, to modify a PDF file so that its
contents will be similar to those of a spreadsheet after re-ordering?

Once again, thank you for any assistance provided!

Regards,

Martin

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
| Hello David,
|
| Thank you very much for the instructions.
|
| I thought that the re-ordering would be quite difficult to achieve. On the
| contrary, your instructions made it quite easy.
|
| Much appreciated!
|
| Regards,
|
| Martin
|
| "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
|| Select your data range, including all the relevant rows and columns.
Then
|| Data/ Sort by .../ and choose the relevant column by which to sort.
|| --
|| David Biddulph
|| "Martin" wrote in message
|| .. .
|| Hello,
|| I'm 100% new to Excel (btw, I have Excel 2002) and need assistance with
|| the
|| following, please.
|| I have an Excel spreadsheet, running many hundreds of pages, that has 7
|| columns.
|| They are, from left to right, as follows:
|| 1. Person's name
|| 2. Person's street address
|| 3. Person's city
|| 4. Person's state
|| 5. Person's Zip code
|| 6. Reference number assigned to the person
|| 7. Monetary amount
|| The *current* spreadsheet is neither in alphabetical nor numerical
| order.
|| For example, 3 consecutive entries may appear as:
|| Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
|| Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
|| Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23
|| What I would like to do is re-order the spreadsheet by *monetary
| amount*,
|| as
|| long as the data associated with each amount is maintained by the same
|| re-ordering.
|| To be more specific, I wish the spreadsheet to appear as:
|| Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23
|| Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
|| Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
|| OR
|| Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
|| Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
|| Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23
|| Any help would be greatly appreciated!
|| Thank you.
|| Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello Gord,

Thank you for the instructions and links.

Being a newbie to Excel (and PDF somewhat), I hope that converting from PDF
to Excel is just as easy as re-ordering a column in Excel itself!

wrote:

| Hello David and/or whomever else reads this post:
|
| In addition to Excel spreadsheets as described below, I also have PDF
files
| with the same type of information and in the same format from left to
right.

| Just as with the Excel spreadsheet, the monetary amounts are neither in
| ascending or descending order; they are in random "order".
|
| Is there any way, even if quite difficult, to modify a PDF file so that
its
| contents will be similar to those of a spreadsheet after re-ordering?
|
| Once again, thank you for any assistance provided!
|
| Regards,
|
| Martin
|
| "Martin" wrote in message
| . ..
| | Hello David,
| |
| | Thank you very much for the instructions.
| |
| | I thought that the re-ordering would be quite difficult to achieve. On
the
| | contrary, your instructions made it quite easy.
| |
| | Much appreciated!
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Martin
| |
| | "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
| || Select your data range, including all the relevant rows and columns.
| Then
| || Data/ Sort by .../ and choose the relevant column by which to sort.
| || --
| || David Biddulph
| ||
| || "Martin" wrote in message
| || .. .
| || Hello,
| ||
| || I'm 100% new to Excel (btw, I have Excel 2002) and need assistance
with
| || the
| || following, please.
| ||
| || I have an Excel spreadsheet, running many hundreds of pages, that
has 7
| || columns.
| ||
| || They are, from left to right, as follows:
| ||
| || 1. Person's name
| || 2. Person's street address
| || 3. Person's city
| || 4. Person's state
| || 5. Person's Zip code
| || 6. Reference number assigned to the person
| || 7. Monetary amount
| ||
| || The *current* spreadsheet is neither in alphabetical nor numerical
| | order.
| ||
| || For example, 3 consecutive entries may appear as:
| ||
| || Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
| || Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
| || Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23
| ||
| || What I would like to do is re-order the spreadsheet by *monetary
| | amount*,
| || as
| || long as the data associated with each amount is maintained by the
same
| || re-ordering.
| ||
| || To be more specific, I wish the spreadsheet to appear as:
| ||
| || Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23
| || Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
| || Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
| ||
| || OR
| ||
| || Allan, David 456 Pear Ave Iselin NJ 08830 421 342.57
| || Poe, John 895 Main Street New York NY 10120 753 6.20
| || Doe, Jane 567 Oscar Street Atlanta GA 77731 525 1.23
| ||
| || Any help would be greatly appreciated!
| ||
| || Thank you.