Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
D-- D-- is offline

Default Calculate value in a text filled cell

How can you setup a cell with text and assign a value to that cell so when
you sum the columns, the value computes. For example, I have a cell contract
terms with a text value of "6 months", how do I setup the cell so it's value
for formulas is "6" so it will compute the sum of the contracts based on the
months?

Thanks, D-
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why make it so hard and error prone, why not just use 2 cells, one with 6
and another with months? Or just use a custom format like General" Months"
and just type in a number, then use

=SUM(range)

Otherwise you might have to do something like

=SUMPRODUCT(--(0&SUBSTITUTE(Range,"months","")))

if months can be the only text value, if not post back

Peo Sjoblom

"D--" wrote in message
How can you setup a cell with text and assign a value to that cell so when
you sum the columns, the value computes. For example, I have a cell
contract
terms with a text value of "6 months", how do I setup the cell so it's
value
for formulas is "6" so it will compute the sum of the contracts based on
the
months?

Thanks, D-

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Custom format it to
00 "months"

Now if you typed say 7 in the cell it will display it as "07 months" and you
could still sum it the way you would otherwise sum a number

"D--" wrote:

How can you setup a cell with text and assign a value to that cell so when
you sum the columns, the value computes. For example, I have a cell contract
terms with a text value of "6 months", how do I setup the cell so it's value
for formulas is "6" so it will compute the sum of the contracts based on the
months?

Thanks, D-

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dear Sir Peo,

Why make it so hard and error prone,

maybe D-- is trying to gain skills in excel...
try this
=TEXT(SUM(A1:A3),"0")& " Months"
A1:A3 contains number of *months* not Dates...

regards,
driller
--
*****
birds of the same feather flock together..

"D--" wrote in message
How can you setup a cell with text and assign a value to that cell so when
you sum the columns, the value computes. For example, I have a cell
contract
terms with a text value of "6 months", how do I setup the cell so it's
value
for formulas is "6" so it will compute the sum of the contracts based on
the
months?

Thanks, D-

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Unfortunately, the way this spreadsheet is setup, it isn't just the months
cell. There are others I am trying to modify which are shown as terms which
need to compute as well.

Such as, $800.00 (3 Mos.)/$950.00 (3 Mos.) in one cell as text which needs
to be computed as (800*3)+(950*3) in the cell so I can calculate the columns.

sorry, I inherited this project and the spreadsheet is in a format everyone
likes but it just isn't functional so I am making he circle fit into the
square hole.

"D--" wrote:

How can you setup a cell with text and assign a value to that cell so when
you sum the columns, the value computes. For example, I have a cell contract
terms with a text value of "6 months", how do I setup the cell so it's value
for formulas is "6" so it will compute the sum of the contracts based on the
months?

Thanks, D-

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

While it maybe possible to do by using formulas, it would be rather time
consuming to construct said formula to cover all possible angles. Your best
hopes are probably VBA code or someone with lots of community spirit and
lots of times on their hands

Peo Sjoblom

"D--" wrote:

How can you setup a cell with text and assign a value to that cell so
when
you sum the columns, the value computes. For example, I have a cell
contract
terms with a text value of "6 months", how do I setup the cell so it's
value
for formulas is "6" so it will compute the sum of the contracts based on
the
months?

Thanks, D-

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"D--" wrote...
Unfortunately, the way this spreadsheet is setup, it isn't just the months
cell. There are others I am trying to modify which are shown as terms
which
need to compute as well.

Such as, $800.00 (3 Mos.)/$950.00 (3 Mos.) in one cell as text which
needs
to be computed as (800*3)+(950*3) in the cell so I can calculate the
columns.

sorry, I inherited this project and the spreadsheet is in a format everyone
likes but it just isn't functional so I am making he circle fit into the
square hole.

If you inherited this, then it's been around for a while? If so, this is NEW
functionality you'd be adding?

How broad a range of such foolish text entries? Would there be Wks. and Yrs.
in addition to Mos.? Would there be Months, Mnths, Mnths., Mos in addition
to Mos.? Similarly for weeks and years?