Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Identify New Added Rows

Could someone tell me how to write an If-then statement that will identify if
a new row is added to a range? For example, we have a range of data from A8
to J329 that covers a financial accounting system. In some cases, a new
account number will be added simply by inserting a new row which throws off
the template designed for keeping up with the different accounts.

I need a simple flag in a cell that will change color or put an asterisk or
do something so that I know a new row has been added rather than each time
counting rows or comparing account numbers....is this possible?

Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

why not change your ranges to defined ranges and use that?
on the page desiredinsertnamedefinename it anything you like such as
myrngin the refers to box type in
=offset($a$1,0,0,counta($a:$a),12)
(look up OFFSET in the help index for details)
then refer to the new defined name range for your reports,etc

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"AnneMarie" wrote in message
Could someone tell me how to write an If-then statement that will identify
if
a new row is added to a range? For example, we have a range of data from
A8
to J329 that covers a financial accounting system. In some cases, a new
account number will be added simply by inserting a new row which throws
off
the template designed for keeping up with the different accounts.

I need a simple flag in a cell that will change color or put an asterisk
or
do something so that I know a new row has been added rather than each time
counting rows or comparing account numbers....is this possible?

Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you for answering. I wish we could just recalculate, but when a new
account number is added, we have to add a new worksheet and a new account and
set up a new account form. The flag would be a way that double checks to be
sure that if a human adds a new row then we in our office have done all the
necessary paperwork to set up the account. This template was done a long time
ago but we can't get rid of it since it is part of an accounting system.

What will happen is a line will be inserted for account 10-3204-XXXX for so
many thousands of dollars but the word may not get passed down that this
account has now been created and is active. Unless you sit down with an old
spreadsheet and match the old accounts to the new ones, you may not notice
that a new one has been added. If there is an easy way to show that a new row
has been added (a cell that can show an asterisk or if you really want to get
fancy say row 64 has been added) that is what I need. So I don't really need
to have it continue to sum, since we have to recalculate anyway.