Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Exported file to WP as merge. Now is corrupt. Data lost. Help

I opened an excel file in Word Perfect to use as a merge data file, but now
my excel file looks like a bunch of squarish circles and symbols with a few
words. How do I get my excel data back?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can you open the file in WP and see the data? Simply opening it
shouldn't have affected the data, so I wonder if you saved it
(overwriting the original) inadvertently.

If so, you may be able to copy the data and paste it into a new workbook.

If you did overwrite it, and if you don't have a backup, you're probably
not getting the data back.

In article ,
Patty wrote:

I opened an excel file in Word Perfect to use as a merge data file, but now
my excel file looks like a bunch of squarish circles and symbols with a few
words. How do I get my excel data back?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you didn't keep a copy somewhere like a backup, or if you sent it in an
email that you can retrieve you are out of luck At least when it comes to
formulas, multiple sheets etc. If there was only text in one sheet you
should be able to open it in WP again and copy and paste from there. My
guess is that you opened the file then when you closed it the program
prompted you to save it and that's what you did (big no no).
This happens in MS Word as well and the file gets corrupted when opened
again in Excel.

Peo Sjoblom

"Patty" wrote in message
I opened an excel file in Word Perfect to use as a merge data file, but now
my excel file looks like a bunch of squarish circles and symbols with a
few
words. How do I get my excel data back?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Exported file to WP as merge. Now is corrupt. Data lost. He

Yes, I have the data just fine in Word Perfect. How do I copy and paste it
into a new excel file? It is all in a line of fields. How do I make each
(like field 2) go into the second column on an excel sheet?

Patty wrote:

I opened an excel file in Word Perfect to use as a merge data file, but now
my excel file looks like a bunch of squarish circles and symbols with a few
words. How do I get my excel data back?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Patty

Copy to a sheet in Excel than use the DataText to Columns Wizard to break into
cells using some type of de-limiter..........maybe a comma or space or Tab?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Patty wrote:

I opened an excel file in Word Perfect to use as a merge data file, but now
my excel file looks like a bunch of squarish circles and symbols with a few
words. How do I get my excel data back?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Without knowing what your data looks like, it's hard to be sure, but you
could try pasting it into column A, then using Data/Text to Columns to
separate the fields into other columns.