Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default help with Index and Match Formula

I have a formula that somebody created for me. I now need to use this same
formula but in a different spreadsheet. I tried to follow the format but I
am doing something wrong.

The old formula is :

=INDEX('C:\[paytst50-mod.xls]paytst50'!$A$1:$AD$1523,
MATCH(Sheet1!A24,'C:\[paytst50-mod.xls]paytst50'!$A$1:$A$1523,0),
MATCH(Sheet1!H24,'C:\[paytst50-mod.xls]paytst50'!$A$1:$AD$1,0))

my new spreadsheet that I am extracting the data from is d:\GXR 1STQTDBB.xls

My new spreadsheet that I want the data to go into is d:\gxr 1stqtd bb-22.xls

In the spreadsheet d:\gxr 1stqtd bb-22.xls , ( the spreadsheet I want the
data pulled into), I have a column that says payfield number and they are
1-37.

In the spreadsheet d:\gxr 1stqtdbb.xls on c1-q1 I have corresponding
numbers, such as c1=1, d1=23, e1=24 etc. I dont use the numbers 2-21. I
need to adjust my old formula for the new spreadsheet.
In other words I have a unique number in row 1 so that I can look up the
value in column A (employee id) and return the value from c1, d1, e1, etc.

My data actuall starts in row 3 - hope this is not confusing- can send the
spreadsheet if necessary. Need to finish this up and import before 7:00 a.m.
whenever body gets to work.

Thanks in Advance for any help. Later I can come back here and get an
explanation of what the index field and matching fields are because I will be
doing this again in the future - not sure how often. If I understood the
formula then I could adjust it myself. I do understand it somewhat, but ...

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am currently using vlookup and this works but I have to go to each employee
and keep copying the formulas and there are over 200 and I have to do this in
two spreadsheet - each containing 200. Like I said I used the Index and
Match formula before and it worked great. This will allow me to use the fill
command to copy the forumla down instead of having to copy, which is much
faster.