Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
klafert klafert is offline

Default help with Index and Match Formula

I have a formula that somebody created for me. I now need to use this same
formula but in a different spreadsheet. I tried to follow the format but I
am doing something wrong.

The old formula is :

=INDEX('C:\[paytst50-mod.xls]paytst50'!$A$1:$AD$1523,
MATCH(Sheet1!A24,'C:\[paytst50-mod.xls]paytst50'!$A$1:$A$1523,0),
MATCH(Sheet1!H24,'C:\[paytst50-mod.xls]paytst50'!$A$1:$AD$1,0))

my new spreadsheet that I am extracting the data from is d:\GXR 1STQTDBB.xls

My new spreadsheet that I want the data to go into is d:\gxr 1stqtd bb-22.xls

In the spreadsheet d:\gxr 1stqtd bb-22.xls , ( the spreadsheet I want the
data pulled into), I have a column that says payfield number and they are
1-37.

In the spreadsheet d:\gxr 1stqtdbb.xls on c1-q1 I have corresponding
numbers, such as c1=1, d1=23, e1=24 etc. I dont use the numbers 2-21. I
need to adjust my old formula for the new spreadsheet.
In other words I have a unique number in row 1 so that I can look up the
value in column A (employee id) and return the value from c1, d1, e1, etc.

My data actuall starts in row 3 - hope this is not confusing- can send the
spreadsheet if necessary. Need to finish this up and import before 7:00 a.m.
whenever body gets to work.

Thanks in Advance for any help. Later I can come back here and get an
explanation of what the index field and matching fields are because I will be
doing this again in the future - not sure how often. If I understood the
formula then I could adjust it myself. I do understand it somewhat, but ...

Thanks