Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Drop-down lists with colours or pictures

Is it possible to create drop-down lists in Excel with colours as possible
alternatives to select? Would like to fill cells with green, yellow or red to
show status, and these should be the only alternatives to choose between. No
text information at all.

Is it possible to have pictures appear as choices in a drop-down list, e.g.
smileys in different coulours?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Agneta,

Here is how I would do this using Data Validation and Conditional Formating.

Step 1: Enter into three cells G, Y, R (the desired colors)
Step 2: InsertNameDefine. In the Names in workbook: type Status. Then
use the Refers to: to select the three cells from Step 1. When done select
OK. This will define a name Status need in Step 3.
Step 3: Setup the desired cells for Data Validation. DataValidation. For
Allow: select List from the drop down menu. In Source: =Status. Click OK.
Step 4: For the same cells from Step 3 setup conditional formating.
FormatConditional Formatting... You can have as many as three conditional
formats. Click the Add button twice. In the second drop down for each
condition select: equal to. In the third drop down box enter G, then Y, then
R. Then click the Format button. For each one set the font color and
pattern color to Green, Yellow, or Red. When done click OK.

Since the font and pattern color are the same when you select G, Y, or R
from the drop down you won't see the actual text.

I kept the colors to just one letter so that the cell can be made as small
as desired without having the text spill out the right side of the cell. I
don't think it's possible to have a color as a dropdown because color is just
formatting and not a real value that is in the cell, so I don't know how that
could be done. This is a method I've used in the past to change the color of
a cell based on data in the cell or another cell and is how I've seen other
people do it.

I also don't think the smileys can be made to work. When pictures are put
on a worksheet they're put on the invisible drawing layer. Their only
relationship to the worksheet is their physical relationship to a cell. But
I could be wrong about this.

Hope this helps.
vttanker