Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Specific Data Ranges Produced From Drop Down Lists

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am currently constructing a user-friendly front page to a complicated
budget. I wish to generate the correct data range (i.e. daily rate of staff)
by utilising 2 drop down lists.

I wish the first list to enable the user to select either European or
American staff and the second to allow the user to select either "ツ」", "$" or
"ぎ" currency for the daily rate of the appropriate staff. Ultimately I wish
the two drop down lists to produce a range of data in a fixed location that
would represent the rates for the results of the two drop down lists i.e.
European Staff daily rates in "ツ」". Please could you let me know how I can do
this?

Kind regards & happy New Year.
--
Kind regards,

Peter Nixon
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you provide details about your workbook, someone may be able to help
with a specific solution.
For example, is the staff list the same for European and American, with
only the rates different?
Do you have tables with staff and rates?
What do you need in the "range of data in a fixed location"?

Peterwnixon wrote:
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am currently constructing a user-friendly front page to a complicated
budget. I wish to generate the correct data range (i.e. daily rate of staff)
by utilising 2 drop down lists.

I wish the first list to enable the user to select either European or
American staff and the second to allow the user to select either "ツ」", "$" or
"ぎ" currency for the daily rate of the appropriate staff. Ultimately I wish
the two drop down lists to produce a range of data in a fixed location that
would represent the rates for the results of the two drop down lists i.e.
European Staff daily rates in "ツ」". Please could you let me know how I can do
this?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Apologies - I did not make myself clear.

The full staff daily rates are in a table in a seperate hidden worksheet.
The member of staff is signified in coloum A (i.e. Data Manager)- then the
colums have the daily rate for each member of staff in the appropriate
currency and the approrpiate location. I.e. European staff daily rates in
Euros, or Northern American Daily Rates in Dollars.

American American American European
$ ぎ ツ」 $
Data Manager 200 175 200 175 etc

Ideally I wish for the user to select from drop down lists - the location of
the staff i.e. northern american and the currency they wish the daily rates
to be in. I then want a summarised table version of the daily rates to appear
on the input worksheet. I.e. it would list the staff names as in coloum A of
the main sheet, but would only show in coloum B the rates appropriate to the
staff location and currency.

Does this make sense?
Kind regards,

Peter Nixon

Peterwnixon wrote:
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am currently constructing a user-friendly front page to a complicated
budget. I wish to generate the correct data range (i.e. daily rate of staff)
by utilising 2 drop down lists.

I wish the first list to enable the user to select either European or
American staff and the second to allow the user to select either "ツ」", "$" or
"ぎ" currency for the daily rate of the appropriate staff. Ultimately I wish
the two drop down lists to produce a range of data in a fixed location that
would represent the rates for the results of the two drop down lists i.e.
European Staff daily rates in "ツ」". Please could you let me know how I can do
this?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you need the location and currency in separate cells in the heading?
If you can combine them, e.g. American $, you could do a lookup in the
hidden rate table. For example:

=VLOOKUP(B6,RateLU,MATCH(RateSel,RateHead,0)+1,0)

where B6 is Data Manager in the visible list, RateLU is the hidden
table, RateSel is the cell with the selected rate, and RateHead is the
range of four cells with headings on the RateLU table.

Peterwnixon wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Debra!

You are a legend in your own lifetime! Thank you very much for the help and
advice - it worked like a charm and introduced a whole new realm of excel to
me. Do you do this work voluntarily? If so your rewards will be in heaven!
--
Kind regards,

Peter Nixon

Peterwnixon wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that it helped.
The newsgroup provides peer-to-peer support, and everyone is
volunteering their time and expertise (as far as I know!)

And the best reward is someone who says, "Thanks, that worked."