Old January 15th 07, 04:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
dot dot is offline

Default Countif funtion

Can we start back at the beginning please, I need to use all three columns in
order to come up with the total of closed items for all employees. When I
use
=sumproduct((Assignments!K2:K1669="Brian")*(Assign ments!L2:L1669="Closed")*(Assignments!M2:M1669="Br ian"))
I get the total 0, when I use
=sumproduct((Assignments!L2:L1669="Closed")*(Assig nments!M2:M1669="Brian")) I
get the total 24 when I added in =countif(Assignments!M2:M1669,"Brian") I get
FALSE, so right now my formula is looking like
=sumproduct((Assignments!L2:L1669="Closed")*(Assig nments!M2:M1669="Brian"))=COUNTIF(Assignments!M2:M 1669,"Brian"), what am I missing?
Dot

"Don Guillett" wrote:

If you want closed, brian total use
=sumproduct((Assignments!L2:L1669="Closed")*(Assig nments!M2:M1669="Brian"))
or even
=countif(Assignments!M2:M1669,"Brian")
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Dot" wrote in message
okay I'm confused now, currently we have the formula showing as
=sumproduct((Assignments!K2:K1669="Brian")*(Assign ments!L2:L1669="Closed")*(Assignments!M2:M1669="Br ian")),
which currently gives me a count of 55 and I want the count of 79 so I
need
to put it what way? And this would be the same for everyone?
--
Dot

"JLatham" wrote:

Yes, what Don just said above - the L and M portions of the formulas only
for
all closed by brian (or who ever else you want by changing the criteria
in
the M part, as --(M2:M1669="Dot")

"Dot" wrote:

Yes we need to look at all three columns to get a true count of what
the
employee processed for the day. Now using your new example that works
in
this scenario but would create additional work as any one of the
employees
could reassign the work from someone else to themselves thus I would
have to
create a formula that included everyone. So what would be the easiest
way to
go so that way it looks at Brian having 55 processed and then picking
up
Sandra's 24 giving a total of 79. But the scenario we could have is
Brian
processing his 55, 24 from Sandra and another 30 from Jennifer so his
true
total count for the day would be 109.
--
Dot

"JLatham" wrote:

Dot, I think we have a disconnect regarding what and how to test to
get the
results you want.

The formula I put in there
=SUMPRODUCT(--(K2:K16="Brian"),--(L2:L16="closed"),--(M2:M16="Brian"))
looks at ALL THREE columns and only if the conditions in each of them
is
true do you get a count of that row. So, the results of 3 and 0 are
just
what I'd expect since only 3 rows have "brian | closed | brian" in
them, and
if you change the formula to
=SUMPRODUCT(--(K2:K16="Sandra"),--(L2:L16="closed"),--(M2:M16="Sandra"))
you will get zero because none of the entries in column M
(Reassigned) has
Sandra in it, at least not in the test data put up with the file.

We have 3 columns to look at, should we be looking at all 3 columns
as the
formula I put up does, or only two columns as either Assigned and
Status or
Status and Reassigned?

You can even check for combinations: this would give you total for
those
originally Assigned to EITHER Brian or Sandra, that are closed and
were
closed by Brian (but not by Sandra):
=SUMPRODUCT(--(K2:K16="Brian"),--(L2:L16="closed"),--(M2:M16="Brian"))
+
SUMPRODUCT(--(K2:K16="Sandra"),--(L2:L16="closed"),--(M2:M16="Brian"))

"Dot" wrote:

Okay I copied your example down and using same data you provided I
got the
result of 2 for Brian and none for Sandra, where as there should be
3 for
Brian and 8 for Sandra. I'm using Excel 2003 on my home computer
so that
shouldn't matter should it? On my office laptop I also have Excel
2003 so I
should be getting the same answer on each using the formula
provided which I
am.
--
Dot

"JLatham" wrote:

Dot,
Try replacing the commas with * and see how it goes. It works
fine for me
as written in Excel 2007, but I didn't go back and try in any
earlier version
of Excel. To be frank, my 'expertise' with SUMPRODUCT() is
virtually
non-existant, I don't use it much at all. Don and others are
much better
with it than I am, although I'm trying to rectify that
shortcoming since it
is such a handy tool, and it was kind of obvious to me that this
was a
situation where it would do the job for you if set up properly.
I may have
failed in the setup.

Oh, and NO - the -- were meant to be there, it is the commas that
appear to
be in doubt. What cell(s) are you putting your formula into?

I threw a quick test together using just 16 rows and you can grab
the file
and see if the formula will work on your system or not:
http://www.jlathamsite.com/uploads/SumproductForDot.xls
I put the formula at the end of column M, but you should be able
to put it
anywhere else on the sheet (other than in K2:M16) and it should
still work.

"Dot" wrote:

Jennifer is in column 1, I tried your function below but I'm
getting a
circular error, was your -- meant to be *? Another question,
by the way
Assigned is in column K, Status column L and Reassigned is in
column M, not
all of the rows are reassigned only after the individual
finishes their work
they help their team mates, so we can have some rows in column
M that are
blank. Not sure if this will have an impact but I tried putting
the persons
name their for what wasn't reassigned and it then doubled the
total so I
don't think I have to do that but maybe again account for a
blank cell? I
also checked for capitalization and all is in order.

--
Dot

"JLatham" wrote:

Jennifer?? Jennifer was not invited to the party.

Which column does Jennifer appear in? 1st, 2nd? 3rd?

=SUMPRODUCT(--(K2:K16="Brian"),--(L2:L16="closed"),--(M2:M16="Brian"))
works for me to total up the rows where Brian was assigned,
the issue is
closed and Brian was the closer. Spelling and capitalization
count. Change
16s to 1669 in your formula.

"Dot" wrote:

Okay I just found a flaw, turns out its counting the
information twice for
two different people. Below is how the columns are set up
and the functions
I'm using
Assigned Status Reassigned
Sandra Closed
Sandra
Sandra Closed
Sandra Closed
Sandra Closed brian
Sandra
Sandra Closed
Sandra Closed
Sandra Closed
Sandra Closed brian
Sandra Closed brian
Sandra Closed
Sandra
Sandra Closed
Sandra Closed Christine

Brian took over some of the assigned tasks that were given
to Sandra but it
is counting them for both employees. Here is the new
function I added, it
worked for one person but then put a N/A value on another:

=SUMPRODUCT((Assignments!K2:M1669="Brian")*(Assign ments!L2:L1669="closed")*(Assignments!M2:M669="Bri an"))

On Brian it is now giving me the #N/A value where on
Jennifer it worked.
--
Dot

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Glad to help

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Dot" wrote in message
That worked!!! Thanks so much Don I've been working on
this all day and
it's
been driving me crazy :-)
--
Dot

"Don Guillett" wrote:

this maybe
=sumproduct((Assignments!K2:M1669="Brian")*(Assign ments!
n2:n1669="closed"))

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Dot" wrote in message
I'm trying to bring three columns together that
checks for a condition
of
persons name and counts how many items were
processed. I have the
first
function =COUNTIF(Assignments!K2:M1669,"Brian")
that's working but I
don't
want it to include the blank cells only cells that
have "closed". What
information am I missing? I tried including the
nested argument If but
keep
getting a value error.
--
Dot

Old January 15th 07, 05:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To simplify the calculation, you could add a formula in column N, with
the heading "Closed By":

=IF(L2<"Closed","",IF(M2="",K2,M2))

This would calculate the name of the person who closed the file.
Then, count the names in that column, using a COUNTIF formula. For
example:
=COUNTIF(N2:N1669,P2)
Where P2 contains a name.

"Dot" wrote:

[...]

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Glad to help

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Dot" wrote in message

That worked!!! Thanks so much Don I've been working on
this all day and
it's
been driving me crazy :-)
--
Dot

this maybe

"Dot" wrote in message

I'm trying to bring three columns together that
checks for a condition
of
persons name and counts how many items were
processed. I have the
first
function =COUNTIF(Assignments!K2:M1669,"Brian")
that's working but I
don't
want it to include the blank cells only cells that
have "closed". What
information am I missing? I tried including the
nested argument If but
keep
getting a value error.
--
Dot

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Old January 15th 07, 07:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
dot dot is offline

Debra you rock!!!! Thank you so much!!! That worked and everything is
falling place now. Thanks for everyone's help to figure this out I learned a
lot the last few days on using formulas!
--
Dot

"Dot" wrote:

[...]

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Glad to help

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Dot" wrote in message

That worked!!! Thanks so much Don I've been working on
this all day and
it's
been driving me crazy :-)
--
Dot

this maybe

Old November 16th 08, 10:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi

i am trying to count cells in one column that match a criteria another column

Table A Table B Table C
Location Product Company

Ports Area A XYX co
Corniche area B ABC co
City area B DTS co
Village area C GHK co
Corniche area A PQR co
City area C ABC co

Here i know from the above table that there are two companies in "corniche
area" bu doing count but how do i get how many companies in 'corniche area '
that buy product A ?

regards

rajesh

I'm trying to bring three columns together that checks for a condition of a

Old November 16th 08, 06:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this...

Locations in column A
Products in column B

E1 = Corniche area
F1 = A

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10=E1),--(B1:B10=F1))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"rajesh.b." wrote in message
hi

i am trying to count cells in one column that match a criteria another
column

Table A Table B Table C
Location Product Company

Ports Area A XYX co
Corniche area B ABC co
City area B DTS co
Village area C GHK co
Corniche area A PQR co
City area C ABC co

Here i know from the above table that there are two companies in
"corniche
area" bu doing count but how do i get how many companies in 'corniche area
'
that buy product A ?

regards

rajesh