Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default CHAR(10) = ALT+ENTER??

A1: The Olympics
B1: 2008
C1: =A1&CHAR(10)&B1

I expect the result in C1 to be

The Olympics
2008

But, I have

The Olympics 2008

I don't get the ALT+ENTER effect using CHAR(10) for line feed.

What have I missed? Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Format C1 to wrap text. Initially, you may see this:

The
Olympics
2008

Then widen the column and you'll get what you want.

ALT ENTER automatically wraps text but you would still need to widen the
column.

Biff

"Epinn" wrote in message
A1: The Olympics
B1: 2008
C1: =A1&CHAR(10)&B1

I expect the result in C1 to be

The Olympics
2008

But, I have

The Olympics 2008

I don't get the ALT+ENTER effect using CHAR(10) for line feed.

What have I missed? Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Don't you see a small square between Olympics and 2008?

"Olympics2008"

You have to now format the cell to "Line Wrap"

--

HTH,

RD

"Epinn" wrote in message
A1: The Olympics
B1: 2008
C1: =A1&CHAR(10)&B1

I expect the result in C1 to be

The Olympics
2008

But, I have

The Olympics 2008

I don't get the ALT+ENTER effect using CHAR(10) for line feed.

What have I missed? Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Epinn wrote:
A1: The Olympics
B1: 2008
C1: =A1&CHAR(10)&B1

I expect the result in C1 to be

The Olympics
2008

But, I have

The Olympics 2008

I don't get the ALT+ENTER effect using CHAR(10) for line feed.
What have I missed?

I find that sometimes, I must select the cell and press F2 in order to
get the desired effect. I do not know why.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you all for your response.

I guess I expected more than CHAR(10) can deliver. <g

Yes, you can say I am inexperienced too. <g

RD, I don't see that small square before 2008. Does everyone see it except me?
I use V. 2003; which version do you use?

Thanks.

Epinn

"Epinn" wrote in message
A1: The Olympics
B1: 2008
C1: =A1&CHAR(10)&B1

I expect the result in C1 to be

The Olympics
2008

But, I have

The Olympics 2008

I don't get the ALT+ENTER effect using CHAR(10) for line feed.

What have I missed? Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Screencap:

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/5638/char10su5.jpg

Using Excel 2002

Biff

"Epinn" wrote in message
A1: The Olympics
B1: 2008
C1: =A1&CHAR(10)&B1

I expect the result in C1 to be

The Olympics
2008

But, I have

The Olympics 2008

I don't get the ALT+ENTER effect using CHAR(10) for line feed.

What have I missed? Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Epinn wrote:
wrote:
I find that sometimes, I must select the cell and press F2 in order to
get the desired effect. I do not know why.

I format the cell as suggested and it works fine now. No F2 needed.
Which version do you have? Do you see that little square that RD mentioned?

I am using Office Excel 2003; and yes, when the alt-Enter is
ineffective, I see a little square in the text. Perhaps F2 is never
needed when Wrap Text is selected explicitly (checkmarked). But it is
needed occassionally (and seemingly unpredictably) when Excel selects
Wrap Text implicitly -- which is indicated by a solid green box instead
of a checkmark next to Wrap Text under Format Cells Alignment.

Excel seems to select Wrap Text implicitly when alt-Enter is typed
initially. Since I cannot cause the alt-Enter to be ineffective
predictably, I do not know if the implicit Wrap Text is deselected when
that happens. But if I deselect Wrap Text explicity (leaving the
option uncheckmarked), the alt-Enter is ineffective, of course.
Pressing F2 causes Wrap Text to be selected implicitly again. So I do
suspect when F2 is needed, it is because Excel had selected Wrap Text
implicitly, then deselected it implicitly for some inexplicable reason.

The point is: If things work fine initially when you type alt-Enter,
then later they do not work, either selecting the cell and typing F2,
or explicitly selecting Wrap Text format should remedy the situation.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:
Perhaps F2 is never
needed when Wrap Text is selected explicitly (checkmarked). But it is
needed occassionally (and seemingly unpredictably) when Excel selects
Wrap Text implicitly -- which is indicated by a solid green box instead
of a checkmark next to Wrap Text under Format Cells Alignment.

The green box in the Wrap Text option apparently indicates that Wrap
Text was selected (implicitly) for some, but not all of several cells
that were merged.

When I enter text that contains alt-Enter into a single cell, Wrap Text
is checkmarked automatically by Excel.

My experience has been that such single-cell alt-Enter text does indeed
lose its formatting occassionally and unpredicably. Selecting the cell
and typing F2 (by the way, I really mean F2 Enter) has remedied the
problem when it has happened in the past (just hours ago!).

As an experiment, when I deselect Wrap Text explicitly, Wrap Text
becomes uncheckmarked; then selecting the cell and typing F2 causes
Wrap Text to be selected again.

But once again, because I am unable to predictably cause alt-Enter to
become ineffective automatically (i.e. by Excel, not me) when I have
not selected Wrap Text explicitly, I cannot say with impunity that F2
is needed occassionally when you select Wrap Text explicitly.

You might simply file this information away in the recesses of your
mind, just in case it becomes necessary.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Epinn wrote:
I am quite lost with this talk of implicit, explicit, solid green box etc.

Sorry about that. I was writing more for the experienced MVP, in the
hopes that someone might be able to explain what __I__ am seeing.

(I was also trying to be helpful to you insofar as giving you a
heads-up about the potential future need to use F2.)

Both of us use 2003, how come I don't see a little square with CHAR(10) before formatalignmentwrap text?

Hmm, I wonder if there is an option that controls that behavior? None
that I can find. And I __think__, but I cannot be sure, that I also
have not see the little square __sometimes__ when I know that it is
there.

However, I won't waste time on this and I'll just let it go.

Agreed!