Synectica

Default Cell Selection after "Enter"

In the Excel applications we build for others it is useful to have the cell
selection remain on the cell after the data in it is modified. This is done
by unchecking "Move Selection after Enter" on the "Edit" tab of the
"Options" dialogue. However, when protecting the worksheet to allow
selection of unlocked cells only, the cell selection then ignores the Edit
tab setting and moves in the default direction after Enter. If worksheet
protection is modified to also allow selection of locked cells, then the cell
selection will obey the Edit setting and not move after Enter. This is
surely a bug in Excel... It is very frustrating as either we must allow the
selection move to other unlocked cells after Enter, or permit selection of
locked cells - neither of which is really satisfactory. Can Microsoft please
fix this and send us a patch?
Jim Rech

I don't care for this characteristic either but fyi it is not a bug in MS
parlance. A bug is something that behaves differently than the design.
This does not.

Btw, this newsgroup is not an official channel to Microsoft so it's not an
effective way to request a patch.

--
Jim
"Synectica" wrote in message
[...]

JE McGimpsey

Jim - it is now.

The MS web interface makes it clear that MS intends these groups to be
the place to make suggestions/provide feedback to MS. Lousy decision
IMO, but then I wasn't consulted...

I'm not sure if the post has to be tagged by the web interface or not in
order to be read by MS employees.

In article ,
"Jim Rech" wrote:

Btw, this newsgroup is not an official channel to Microsoft so it's not an
effective way to request a patch.

Jim Rech

Did they change the rules on me?<g

Anyway, re a patch, it seems to me that they only do company specific
patches (QFEs [for Quick Fix Engineering]) for "big companies" like GM that
buy a zillion licenses. And if MS would do a patch for something that is
merely annoying rather than affecting results, that would really surprise
me!

--
Jim

"Jim Rech" wrote:

Btw, this newsgroup is not an official channel to Microsoft so it's not
an
effective way to request a patch.

Synectica

Well, some reaction to the post anyway - that's good. I like the concept
that what we have highlighted isn't a "bug" but a "design feature" mmm ...
Surely if this was so, then the Edit dialogue should change so as to not then
allow unchecking of the "Move selection after edit" check box? Next point:
OK, Synectica isn't quite as big as GM (although I'd rather our balance sheet
than theirs), but small companies like ours pay full end user licence prices
for every copy of Microsoft software that we use - no mega corporate discouts
for us! I would think Microsoft should aim to keep all it's customers happy
wouldn't you?