Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Extracting information from large worksheet

I have a large worksheet (thousands of rows), containing absence details for
all Areas in our Company. I have to send this worksheet out to each Area
Manager showing their absence details for that month. However, rather than
sending them the whole worksheet with all areas on, I want to create a
workbook containing separate worksheets for each Area to make it easier for
them to read because they are not advanced Excel users.

The method I have used so far is the 'advanced filter'. By entering
criteria, ie. Area 1' etc. onto a new worksheet and performing an advanced
filter, this only shows those people who work in Area 1.

This works perfectly fine, however, I wondered if there were any alternative
ways that may be quicker, as I have to produce this on a monthly basis.

I don't want to use the 'auto filter' as they can then use the filter arrows
to view other Areas' information.

Hope this makes sense? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Louise
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Louise

If you have sheet set up for each Area Manager, with the relevant
criteria set up in the criteria area for Advanced Filter to extract the
data that is relevant to him, then having update your Master sheet of
all data, surely it is only a question of refresh for each sheet, then
Mail or Print just that sheet for them.
(I presume you are not sending the whole workbook, as you say you don't
want them to see other area's data.)

Alternatively, depending upon the layout of data in your Master sheet,
you might be able to use a Pivot Table, with Area as a Page Field.
From the resulting Pivot Table report, there is an Option to Show Pages,
which would split out to separate sheets, just the data for that area.
This could then be Printed / Mailed to them.

If this is of interest, post detail of how your data is structured, and
we may be able to help you construct a Pivot Table.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Louise" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Roger

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'updating the master'? I receive a different
file each month (it's not the same one with amendments made to it) so there
won't be any updates on the file - it's a completey new one. (Just out of
curiosity though, when you create advanced filters, how do you update the
filtered information if the original data changes??)

with regards to your pivot table idea, i will give this a try also, see if
the results are what we are looking for.

Thank you.
Louise

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Louise

If you have sheet set up for each Area Manager, with the relevant
criteria set up in the criteria area for Advanced Filter to extract the
data that is relevant to him, then having update your Master sheet of
all data, surely it is only a question of refresh for each sheet, then
Mail or Print just that sheet for them.
(I presume you are not sending the whole workbook, as you say you don't
want them to see other area's data.)

Alternatively, depending upon the layout of data in your Master sheet,
you might be able to use a Pivot Table, with Area as a Page Field.
From the resulting Pivot Table report, there is an Option to Show Pages,

"Louise" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Louise
Since you need to do this repeatedly (monthly), I would recommend that
you consider doing it via VBA programming. The result would be a one-click
type of thing. That is, one click of the mouse button and all the different
workbooks/worksheets would be created for you. Post back if you think this
might be what you need. Also, clarify what you mean by "worksheet" and
"workbook". Workbook is the Excel file in its entirety. A worksheet is one
sheet in the workbook. Exactly what is it that you want to send to each of
the managers? A workbook containing only the sheets pertinent to that
manager? Or a workbook showing everything but having each manager's area on
separate worksheets? HTH Otto
"Louise" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello and thank you for your reply.

If you know how to write the code for this type of thing, that would be
extremely useful. I have extremely limited knowledge of VBA so wouldn't be
able to write it myself.

Yes, I am aware that the workbook is the whole thing and inside it are the
individual sheets.

I want to create one workbook, containing different sheets for the different
areas so each Area Manager can look at their own details easily and, if
necessary, can easily view the others' too.

Thank you.
Louise

"Louise" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Louise
The code I would write would depend greatly on the layout of your data.
If you wish, send me your file or an example of your file. I need only the
layout of what you have and what you want to get as the final product. Fake
your data as you see fit with fake names, etc if you feel your data is
proprietary.
Include an explanation/example of what you have at the start and what
you want to have at the end. For instance, do you always start with a new
file and you need to create the new sheets every month, or do you use the
same file and just update it for every month? If you have the latter,
perhaps the "manager" sheets can be a part of the file all the time and the
code will just update those sheets. My email address is
. Remove the "nop" from this address. HTH Otto

"Louise" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Otto, thank you for all your help.

I have sent you a copy of the data i have to work with. Any help you can
offer would be appreciated.

Louise