Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Default Extracting information from records to another sheet automatically

Here's one way, using non-array formulas ..

A sample construct is available at:
http://cjoint.com/?cenY5tJ250
Extracting information from records to another sheet
automatically_Molly_wks.xls

Source table assumed in Sheet1, in cols A to L, data from row2 down
(Col A = Names, col L = Comments)

In Sheet2,
Labels in A1:B1 : Name, Comment

Put in A2:
=IF(ISERROR(SMALL($C:$C,ROW(A1))),"",
INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,MATCH(SMALL($C:$C,ROW(A1)),$C:$C, 0)))

Put in B2:
=IF(ISERROR(SMALL($C:$C,ROW(A1))),"",
INDEX(Sheet1!L:L,MATCH(SMALL($C:$C,ROW(A1)),$C:$C, 0)))

Put in C2: =IF(TRIM(Sheet1!L2)<"",ROW(),"")
Select A2:B2, fill down to cover the extent of data in Sheet1

Sheet2 will return the required results,
with all lines neatly bunched at the top
--
Max
Singapore
"Molly" wrote:

Dear experts,
I have a list of students with ten columns of data to the right and then an
eleventh column containing textual comments.

I want excel to automatically look at the range of student results
(A5:L300), determine which students have comments (not all students have
comments) and extract the student name and the comment and display this on
another sheet.

I can see how this can be done with an advanced filter however:
I want the results on another sheet and I don't want to have to do it
manually.

Is there any way I can achieve this?

kind regards
Molly