Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default HELP!!! Counting Selective Responses if 2 conditions are met?

Dear ALL,

I have an excel sheet similar to below

Sex Age Range Employment Level Work Location Length of Service
Management operates an open door policy when it comes to safety.
2 4 1 2 1
1 3 1 5 2
2 3 3 1 4
1 5 3 1 5
2 3 3 4 5
2 4 1 2 1
1 3 1 5 2
2 3 3 1 4
1 5 3 1 5
2 3 3 4 5
2 4 1 2 1
1 3 1 5 5
2 3 3 1 4
1 5 3 1 5
2 3 3 4 5
2 4 1 2 1
1 3 1 5 5
2 3 3 1 4
1 5 3 1 5
2 3 3 4 5

The first 5 questions are demographic questions. The last is an "opinion"
question.

If somebody can help me with the syntax for getting one of these right I
shall be eternally grateful!!!!

WHAT I NEED TO DO:

I need to be able to count the number of "1's" in the column "Management
etc" dependant on the response in a demographic column eg "sex".

Eg If the response is "1" in sex (meaning male) and '5" in management
(meaning strongly agree); then count the number of "5's" only. The result in
the target cell returned to me only delivers the males that strongly agreed.
The correct answer to this example should be 6.

Once I have this syntax I am thinking I just then modify it for all the
other demographic questions.

MANY THANKS.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

David,

Do yourself a favor, and learn how to use Pivot Tables. You will be able to
answer all your combinations of questions without using a single formula.

Select your table, choose Data / Pivot Table... and click through to the
end. Then drag Sex, Age, Range Employment Level, Work Location, Length of
Service to the Row Fields area, and drag "Management operates an open door
policy when it comes to safety." to the columns field and then again to the
data field. And then you can hide categories or subcategories to get a
score count of any combination of variables.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"David G Broadbent" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I had looked at this as well.

Maybe I am not understanding something. Am creating a spreadsheet that will
separate and analyse data from the first worksheet which is an import from a
survey program I use. I then have other worksheets for the demographic
questions which shall instantly do all the "work". They also draw the charts
I want. this is then linked to a Word report format directly. I have
achieved all of this for the survey data as a whole. Once I have the syntax
for harvesting the demographics and then populate the necessary cells it
should all be automatic (with no input from me) once I import the data sheet
into the first worksheet.

"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Pivot tables can be automated as well, and the data extracted.

But, if you want to go through with formulas, then take a look at SUMPRODUCT

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A1000=1)*(E1:E1000=5))

will return the count of 5's in column E where column A is 1.

Of course, the ranges can be on a separate sheet. The range size and orientation must be the same.