Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David G Broadbent David G Broadbent is offline

Default HELP!!! Counting Selective Responses if 2 conditions are met?

Dear ALL,

I have an excel sheet similar to below

Sex Age Range Employment Level Work Location Length of Service
Management operates an open door policy when it comes to safety.
2 4 1 2 1
1 3 1 5 2
2 3 3 1 4
1 5 3 1 5
2 3 3 4 5
2 4 1 2 1
1 3 1 5 2
2 3 3 1 4
1 5 3 1 5
2 3 3 4 5
2 4 1 2 1
1 3 1 5 5
2 3 3 1 4
1 5 3 1 5
2 3 3 4 5
2 4 1 2 1
1 3 1 5 5
2 3 3 1 4
1 5 3 1 5
2 3 3 4 5

The first 5 questions are demographic questions. The last is an "opinion"
question.

If somebody can help me with the syntax for getting one of these right I
shall be eternally grateful!!!!

WHAT I NEED TO DO:

I need to be able to count the number of "1's" in the column "Management
etc" dependant on the response in a demographic column eg "sex".

Eg If the response is "1" in sex (meaning male) and '5" in management
(meaning strongly agree); then count the number of "5's" only. The result in
the target cell returned to me only delivers the males that strongly agreed.
The correct answer to this example should be 6.

Once I have this syntax I am thinking I just then modify it for all the
other demographic questions.

MANY THANKS.